Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-stop begonia lifespan

Posted by skytalon NJ (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 13:02

I got a non-stop yellow begonia as a present. It has been 3 years, I think. I am not exactly a gardener, but this is the first plant in the house survived this long. I pruned it and apparently it never bounced back so it only has 2 stalks, but i see there are little pink buds at the bottom. So I am not sure what to do. It just bloomed on one of the stalks but it died out. Is it an annual plant, or it was not supposed to live this long? I am not even sure if it is a tuberous plant. Was i supposed to let it go dormant for the winter or what?

I just repot it with fresh soil today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-stop begonia lifespan

My gosh,you are doing a wonderful job. Yes, they are tuberous and usually need a rest every year after bloom. Ignore the stalks, let them fall if they want to. The little pinkbuds are the new stems trying to start another season, they will need some warmth and good light from now on to repeat their bloom cycle. Whatever you were doing, you were doing well.I think I should be asking you for lessons.

o

WOW, I hope mine do so well. I just bought a "Nonstop Mocca Yellow" and a Nonstop Mocca Scarlet. I have mine outside on the shaded patio.

o

Oh thank you... the window faces east but how my house is situated, it's weird.. So it does get full sun in the morning only. Does it need sun all day?

It's looking pitiful though, heh. so in the winter I'm supposed to put the pot in the garage in cold temperature? I left it on my window sill year round.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pitiful begonia

o

Well, in theory the tuberhybrida need good light, and that is what they usually get when grown outside. If it continues to thrive, see if you can't find an outdoor location with good East or sun. I don't think it has a tuber if it has been growing all this time, so I wouldn't worry about storage until fall if it is still around. I think eventually it will have to rest. But, I'm no authority. Why not buy another Non-Stop and see how it does, that 'mocca' variety sounds interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here