Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenfix

Annual Begonia or Perennial Begonia?

ellenfix
18 years ago

Okay, last August I planted three beautiful, but small, annual begonias near my mailbox to dress it up prior to a party. They had deep red flowers and red waxy leaves. I was all set to enjoy them for the short time before they died ... but, like magic, they have now sprouted up again in May. They received no mulch, no fertilizer, and no care at all.

Does this mean we just had a very warm winter here in Atlanta which they miraculously survived ? Or, were these perennial hybrids to begin with? Can i replant them now in another spot successful, or should I leave well enough alone? THANKS!

Comments (23)

• kdjoergensen
    18 years ago

Begonias are actually tender perennials which usually die with first frost. But sometimes in milder climates they may occationally come back. This is proabably what you saw.

• hc mcdole
    18 years ago

EllenFix,

I live in the Atlanta area and have had canes planted in the ground before. Before frost I took cuttings but left the rest of the plant in the ground. I had 'Sophie Cecil', 'Lucerna', 'Torch', and I think 'Di-Erna' or something like it all planted next to the stairs leading up to the deck. That winter (probably 4 or 5 years ago) the cuttings all took except 'Di-Erna'. But in late spring the only plant to come back from the ground was surprise, surprise - 'Di-Erna'. I would not expect this every year though or at all as a rule.

I'm not sure what you planted - it sounds like semperflorens (wax) which is treated like annuals since they are plentiful at the nurseries this time of year. If they were large then I would think 'Dragon Wings' which grow like crazy.

Butch

• garysowards_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I live just South of Birmingham, Al. I have a pot of bogonias that I planted in 2009 that came back in 2010 that were as beautiful or more beautiful as the year before. I put the pot in my basement last fall so I know I will have them again this year. Bagonias are one of my most favorite plants. They just keep giving all through the spring summer and fall.

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

Wax or bedding begonias are perennial here. They seem to get a little bigger each year. I think you got a little lucky or you have a micro climate. 8b is suppose to be as low as they go. They are inexpensive so you should stick a few more in and see where they stick. I do lots of pots so I like my little easy begonias that take care of themselves. I usually fine a filler to change the look a bit.

• willr28
    12 years ago

my wife teaches school and takes our 2 begonia plants to school each fall. The students are supposed to water them. However when she brings them back each spring (late spring)they look terrible. One does have blooms but the other has nothing! help

• Sue Shevlin
    8 years ago

I live in New Jersey. We have been having rough, very snowy winters the past few years but every spring one begonia plant blooms in my garden! Previous owners must have planted it. I will plant some this summer and will find out if they truly are perennials.

• Dianna Fenton
    7 years ago

There is a hardy begonia, in the south they're a traditional "pass along" plant. My Mamaw passed a few on to me, this was 5 years ago and they always come back. I'm in Louisville, KY zone 6. (kinda the top of zone 6 too, but being below the Ohio river it stays warmer, it's remarkable the drastic difference it makes in temps/snowfall accl in areas just a few miles apart).

• Dianna Fenton
    7 years ago

I know this is old but just in case anyone is reading and wanting a perennial begonia, 1 does exist

• hc mcdole
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Dianna,

There are a few hardy begonias. The most noteworthy is Grandis (with a few different varieties). A few folks around the states are experimenting with hardier types. Ozzie Johnson of Atlanta is playing with a few he collected in China in high altitudes, John Boggan in the D.C. area is playing with hybrids of some Asian types, and Dan Heims (Terra Nova Nursery in Portland, OR) are 3 that are pushing the envelope.

Check out PDN as well (Plant Delights Nursery close to Raleigh, NC) for hardy begonias.

I don't have any luck with Grandis but some of our club's members have had lots of good results with it and the Atlanta Botanical Gardens it looks like a weed there since they have hundreds (maybe thousands) throughout the gardens.

I have the weedier wax begonias (not the store bought wax begonias but rather the parent of the more popular bedding plants) that must have seed that survive our winters and germinate in spring to make the next year's seed crop. It can be kind of cute but also weedy if you allow it in other pots. Here are a couple that popped up in between our flagstone terrace and have grown to flowering/seeding stage in a mere 3 short months. This is in full sun from sunrise until 2 PM. I do give them a little water during our awful drought though.

• timhensley
    7 years ago

mcdole, what is the variety that you are growing?

• orlidominguez
    6 years ago

I have a dragon begonia that is going on five years. I live in Texas and bring it during winter. It is huge and blooms all year round.

• Jayne Meulman
    6 years ago

Hi, so interesting to read your discussions of begonias, I live in coastal nsw in Australia and we almost never have frosts. Here, begonias are considered perennial outdoor plants for the most part. I moved into my house ten years ago and the previous owner had planted begonias. The same plants are there and have spread across the rockery at the side of the house all by themselves. I enjoy waiting to see where new plants have taken each spring. They flower for about nine months usually. We do have some issues with both fungus and with too hot summers and sometimes drought, although they are usually very hardy. My begonias are shaded by the side fence and a massive tree on the western side. They are protected from the very very hot summer afternoon sun in January and February, (which is in the south -west for us), by the placement of our house. So far they are extremely happy. Great plants and obviously loved in many places.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

It would be nice to live in a frost free zone to grow begonias in the ground! I know they can do it in lower Florida, lower areas of Texas, and parts of California. Sigh...

It was great when I saw miles of species (kind of plain green) begonias lining both sides of a chalky gravel road in Belize when we visited during Valentine's years ago where the temps were cool in the morning but climbed to mid 80's in the day. I wonder what it felt like in July and August though? HA!

Here is a patch of begonias in Belize on our way to "explore" a cave that the Mayans had used in their days of rule.

• Jayne Meulman
    6 years ago

hi, we haven't seen frost in my area for at least 20 years. There used to be regular mid winter frosts, which i think were pretty mild by international standards, just a pleasant crunch across the grass, early in the morning, but now we don't get any at all. Global warming on a micro level I guess. This year has been humid, but not rainy and generally plants and birds are going for a second run at flowering and nesting, due to the late summer warmth. My camellia has flowered twice now and the lilly pilly (an Australian tree) is going for a third go. Needless to say the begonias are thrinving. Our neighbours two doors up have a pale pink variant that is clumped up in her front garden bed and seems to live and thrive by itself, without too much attention. Our local nursery sells them for about 8 months of the year. Lots of people have them in outdoor hanging pots on the front porch where they can get the morning sun and are protected from the hot afternoon sun. They do well with a north-eastern aspect here.

• Kyle
    5 years ago

hcmcdole: "I don't have any luck with Grandis".

But you grow beautiful rexes. I have grandis everywhere and they spread more every year. But I can't grow a rex to save my life. I'm about 200 miles north of Atlanta. Wonder if it's climate?

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Hey Kyle,

I see grandis growing around town like they are weeds but they just don't do well in our yard. Maybe it is where I planted them?

No, it isn't climate Kyle. I am pretty sure you should be able to grow rexes too. Do you have any luck with them in summer? Winter? Winter is the worst time for me on a lot of begonias but this year I cut back on watering - trickling water just enough to keep them going. It has made a big difference.

• Kyle
    5 years ago

I try and try. They do well for a short while and then they start going south and die. I have given up on them. I grew Mallets and canes all through winter indoors with no trace of mildew on the Mallets. Plus I sold quite a few on Ebay. I can't grow rhizomatous either.

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

That is weird Kyle. Rhizomatous (which rexes are of this type) are fairly easy. Are you overwatering them?

Several of mine took a turn south due to the week I was at the convention in New Orleans. Most are still viable and some are putting out new leaves. These are the smallest pots and on top shelves. I've noticed over the years that plants I put on top shelves (begonias) often do worse than the ones on middle and lower shelves. I can only think that it must be warmer (heat rises) and causes issues. The other thing is not seeing as well since I could just be watering blind unless I take the tray down (I do that in one room - 9 trays in all that is a bit more work than I like).

These photos are from March 12 as I have only taken a few photos of cuttings after that.

I even got Escargot through winter this year! YAY!

My 3 red rexes have never looked this good until I cut back on watering this winter.

This big pot was started in September from 3 inch pots. 3 rexes, 1 U647, and Bashful Bandit in the middle.

Sophie plants that I started over the previous winter and gave away several.

Mary Bucholtz in the back, manicata in front plus several others.

A Walmart or Lowe's rex

a tray of small potted rhizos and rexes

Teen Angel

Miniperba (small cane), rabbit's foot fern, watermelon Peperomia, and goegoensis.

• Kyle
    5 years ago

Those are awesome.

Yes, very careful not to overwater. I wait until the pot is light in weight but before wilting. Doesn't matter what I do. The leaves start getting brown edges and it's all downhill from there. They just melt down into nothing.

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Melting or drying up? The primary thing to do is keep the rhizome from 1) rotting or 2) drying up. Seems like we walk on tightropes to get the things through winter but my success ratio has really gone up this winter due to careful watering..

• Kyle
    5 years ago

'Melting' is just the turn of a phrase. They just die. Doesn't matter what time of year--winter, spring, summer, fall. Can't grow 'em.

Tell you what. I'm going to buy one more if I run across one. Then I'm going to give you a blow-by-blow account. Maybe you can coach me to success. I'll start a new thread if I do. Deal?

• hc mcdole
    5 years ago

Sounds good Kyle.