Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annual Begonia or Perennial Begonia?

Posted by ellenfix z8aGA (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 14:15

Okay, last August I planted three beautiful, but small, annual begonias near my mailbox to dress it up prior to a party. They had deep red flowers and red waxy leaves. I was all set to enjoy them for the short time before they died ... but, like magic, they have now sprouted up again in May. They received no mulch, no fertilizer, and no care at all.

Does this mean we just had a very warm winter here in Atlanta which they miraculously survived ? Or, were these perennial hybrids to begin with? Can i replant them now in another spot successful, or should I leave well enough alone? THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annual Begonia or Perennial Begonia?

Begonias are actually tender perennials which usually die with first frost. But sometimes in milder climates they may occationally come back. This is proabably what you saw.

o

EllenFix,

I live in the Atlanta area and have had canes planted in the ground before. Before frost I took cuttings but left the rest of the plant in the ground. I had 'Sophie Cecil', 'Lucerna', 'Torch', and I think 'Di-Erna' or something like it all planted next to the stairs leading up to the deck. That winter (probably 4 or 5 years ago) the cuttings all took except 'Di-Erna'. But in late spring the only plant to come back from the ground was surprise, surprise - 'Di-Erna'. I would not expect this every year though or at all as a rule.

I'm not sure what you planted - it sounds like semperflorens (wax) which is treated like annuals since they are plentiful at the nurseries this time of year. If they were large then I would think 'Dragon Wings' which grow like crazy.

Butch

o

I live just South of Birmingham, Al. I have a pot of bogonias that I planted in 2009 that came back in 2010 that were as beautiful or more beautiful as the year before. I put the pot in my basement last fall so I know I will have them again this year. Bagonias are one of my most favorite plants. They just keep giving all through the spring summer and fall.

o

Wax or bedding begonias are perennial here. They seem to get a little bigger each year. I think you got a little lucky or you have a micro climate. 8b is suppose to be as low as they go. They are inexpensive so you should stick a few more in and see where they stick. I do lots of pots so I like my little easy begonias that take care of themselves. I usually fine a filler to change the look a bit.

o

my wife teaches school and takes our 2 begonia plants to school each fall. The students are supposed to water them. However when she brings them back each spring (late spring)they look terrible. One does have blooms but the other has nothing! help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here