Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lionessncubs

Indoor potted Begonia HELP

LionessNcubs
18 years ago

New to this gardening business. First time I've attempted to grow something since grade school many moons ago. I planted a tuberous begonia MONTHS ago (feb I think) It didn't sprout until sometime in april. I didn't write down dates so forgive the vague time details. Anywho, I have 5 stems sprouted so far, the tallest being about 5 inches and the smallest close to 4 inches. The fact is...its not growing as fast as I assumed it would. Also,the leaves that it has are curled under and I am not sure if this is normal either. Perhaps I am just impatient and if such is the case someone please let me know that lol.

I see from travels online that its supposed to flower about mid june. This isn't going to happen for my plant and I dont know why. I have a double red begonia. I couldn't begin to tell you a specific kind because the label simply read double red. The picture on the back, where the growing instructions were, pictured what I can relate as a cane begonia but that is not what I am growing from what I can find online. I would upload a picture if I knew how but as I am new to garden web I haven't figured out this information.

Details of how I am caring for the plant include: drying down between watering (also tried watering more often to no avail) I have it in very bright fluorescent lighting as I dont get much window sunlight. When that didn't seem to help I moved it to a darker (but still lighted) area, and also tried adding brighter light. I've run a cool mist humidifier in the room, and tried moving it to a warmer location. I cannot figure out why its not growing well. If someone could give me basic care of tuberous begonia SPROUTS I'd appreciate it. I have been unable to find anything online about caring for the young plants. Just information on caring for established plants.

Comments (4)

• kdjoergensen
    18 years ago

I think what you are growing may be a tuberous begonia.

The key to uniform growth is to make sure that the tuber sprouts before planting. The tuber may have some small red, pink or white eyes (pips) which are the growing points which turn into stems. If they are not visible at time of planting, you would need to "coach" them to sprout. This can be done by placing the tubers in 70F-75F room for 7-10 days. If no sprouting, then soak tuber for 20 minutes in 70F water and then return to the storage room as above.

Once you plant the tubers, plant them covered by atleast 6" of soil with the hollow side up (rounded side down). So the sprouts face upwards. The tuber needs to be covered by soil because roots grow from the top as well as from the bottom. The medium should be well draining (such as seed starting mixture of container potting soil) but it should never allowed to dry before the growth is 3-5" tall. The comments about watering when soil is dry only applies after the begonias has grown to larger plants.

Once the new sprouts are 3-5" tall, you should repot the bulbs into larger pots. This will give the roots a chance to expand. You may find that they are very rootbound if started in small pots. Once repotted, the begonia plants will increase in size dramatically and soon start to develop flower buds. Make sure that you water the begonias very well so the water flow from the bottom. Then do not water until the surface of the soil is dry 1" below surface (finger test). At this time water well again, so water drain from the bottom.

Begonias do best at temperatures 65-85F with filtered sun or moderate morning sun. Avoid hot afternoon sun, and do not put in a sunny southern window (too hot).

If you need more help, please feel free to ask.

Red double tuberous begonia

{{gwi:430144}}

Several tubers with various stages of sprouts showing. Some of the ones in the back has no visible sprouts and need "coaching" to get them going"

{{gwi:433397}}

This tuber has sprouts very visible

{{gwi:433398}}

• kdjoergensen
    18 years ago

Sorry, the tubers should not be covered by 6" of soil. The tubers should be covered by 2" of soil.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Thanks, kdjoergensen! I learn something more everytime I read one of your replies. I greatly appreciate it. So do my four tuberous begonias, which only survived this winter because of knowledge you shared. :-)

Jean

• LionessNcubs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the help! Next year I will know how to do this the right way!

I take it there is nothing I can do to help it along this year? Should I just keep watering it and let it do whatever it will do this year, and hope for better next year?

I didn't wait for the "eyes" before planting first mistake, second mistake I see is that I planted it to start in a 10 inch pot..no potting up going to happen here. What should I do there? pot it down? Also, with the watering thing..I just gave it a great big guzzle of water because I was doing that wrong too I see.

are the leaves supposed to be curled under as I described?

This growing things is a passion I didn't realize I had so Im a sponge for new information!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional