Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thistle5_gw

strawberry pot? for begonias

thistle5
17 years ago

Has anyone tried a strawberry pot for growing begonias? I picked up a terracotta strawberry pt w/ 6 3.5-4" holes & an 8" hole on the top. I was thinking about filling it with MG Moisture Control potting soil, because I have some left over, maybe running a wick of synthetic polypro rope down the center, & putting mostly small cane begonias, Sinbad, fireflush, & others in the sides, maybe one of the larger rexes on top, does this seem reasonable? Would the openings be too small & restrict the growth? Thistle

Comments (3)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Don't think I've ever tried begonias in a strawberry pot, and I actually haven't been wildly successful with strawberry pots in general, but I think it's well worth trying. Be careful to get either ones that like shade or ones that need some sun, not both in the same pot (canes prefer some sun, rexes want more shade, just f'rinstance). I'm curious about how the wick idea would work--if you do it let us know. Some things I've seen suggest a tube of chicken wire or other wire mesh stuffed with sphagnum, but that would I assume be for a larger strawberry pot. Those sizes would restrict the growth somewhat of any but the smaller begonias, but there are plenty of those. Probably should do a little research, as often ones that seem to be small will get much larger than you think they might if given a chance. I stuck cuttings of a number of canes in one of those hanging 'grow-bag' things once, and they loved it until the larger-growing ones swamped the smaller ones.

• dkotchey
    17 years ago

I've had great success with wax begonias in strawberry pots. I just bought a second pot for them this year. The trick is to make sure the bottom plants get watered properly. Here's a trick I used to get the water down pot without flooding the top of the pot ...Fill the bottom of the pot with potting soil until you read the first (bottom hole). Place an empty paper towel roll in the middle of the pot and fill the remainer of the pot with soil but don't put soil in the tube. Next place small pepples or rocks in the tube. Remove the paper towel holder. The rocks will stay in the middle of the pot so when you water the water will run down and through the rocks and into the sides of the pot so the plants get water.

Here are some pictures from last year.

{{gwi:433401}}

I have wishbone flower and lobelia in the pot with the begonias:

{{gwi:433402}}

Look to the left side of side of the deck and you'll see the begonias in the strawberry pot peaking out.

{{gwi:433403}}

• thistle5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, that is really lovely! My strawberry jar is still not planted, I think the begonias I have now are too big for the holes, maybe I will try the wax begonias. I work p/t at a garden center & we had a couple of flats of wax begonias that were out back (must not have looked too good when they came in), sitting on a cart in full sun, probably not watered too much, but most of them really picked up & are covered w/ blooms! The dark, chocolatey foliage is beautiful...I WILL plant something by this weekend...Thistle