Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai Begonia

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 16:24

I purchased what is called Bonsai Begonia or Tripartita Begonia.

The description states, 'This upright cane can produce swollen bulblets at the base giving it a bonsai appearance.

Does anyone have or know this Begonia? Should it be grown in a bonsai container? Small pot?

It's quite pretty, but for some reason growing spindly.

If anyone knows of this Begonia I'd appreciate help, thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai Begonia

Toni,it will have to get some size on it before you see the swollen base; I've seen pictures of plants with that swollen base and they do look like bonsai. It is a form of B. dregei from South Africa, it produces three forms and yours is one of the better known. They can be mildew prone so make sure you have good aeration where you grow it. If it is spindly give it good light, if you pinch those stems they will propagate easily.

o
RE: Bonsai Begonia

Hey Wowbegonia! How have you been?

So, you've heard of Tripartita, Bonsia Begonia?

Have you ever heard of B. Richardsiana? 'sp.'
I bought one in the early 90's..Because the seller said Richard makes a good bonsai plant, once it arrived, I placed in a Bonsai container. It lived many years, then had problems after it fell in the sink. However, I always had cuttings handy, thankfully. I had to restart over. The Richardsiana is over 10" tall. But, it's in a regular pot, though small.

Do you know if Tripartita grow similar to Richardsiana?

Trip is near south and east windows, plus under artificial light. (Though neither south nor north is very bright)
I fear placing Trip in a sunnier location, 'especially once we get sun,' lol.

My Richardsiana lived/s in a north window, compact, and when it was potted in bonsai container, flowered.

So, are you saying I should wait before placing in a bonsai pot? Also, do I pinch the top? There are no side branches, only leaves. Thanks, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here