Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Bought a few and have questions on several (pics)

caliloo
11 years ago

Hey all

First time poster on Begonias. Needless to say, until a couple of years ago I had only bought market packs of begonias and stuck them in the grounds and pretty much ignored them. I know, I'm sorry...

Anyway, last summer I was visiting my local nursery and the begonia folks were having a plant sale/fundraiser so I bought 4 of them in those little 3 inch pots because I thought they were kind of cool and would look nice in containers in my shade gardens. I moved them up in pot size a couple of times since then and then I decided to bring the containers in and try to overwinter them and they all lived! YAY!

So fast forward to this spring. Here it is Mothers Day and after spending a fantastic day with my family, they decided to let me stop at a different local nursery on our way home. As I was wandering the shade plant section I stumbled across a couple more begonias that said "good for containers" and since the foliage was cool, I bought a couple more. Now, I am up to 6 varieties and think it is time to learn more about them. It seems I have done so much wrong, but my original plants are still alive so I'm not sure if it beginners luck or what.

So I'm sorry for writing a novel here, but I would love to post a few pics and have you all give me suggestions on fixing a couple and what to do with my new purchases.

TWISTED SISTER (which I think is doing okay)

{{gwi:433638}}

{{gwi:433639}}

JOE HAYDEN (which also seems to be doing okay)

{{gwi:433641}}

ESCARGOT (doing well - how big will this thing get? I have uppotted 3 times already!)

{{gwi:433643}}

COWARDLY LION (Looks like carp. I would love some advice on this one)

{{gwi:433644}}

{{gwi:433645}}

The following two are my purchases from today. I brought them home and took pics. Should I up pot them? Stick them in the ground and dig in the fall? Keep them in larger containers? Will I be able to overwinter them? Suggestions on care is WELCOME and ENCOURAGED!

RED KISS

{{gwi:433646}}

HUGH MCLAUGHLIN

{{gwi:433647}}

If you have gotten this far in this LENGTHY post I applaud you and gratefully thank you for any insight you can offer.

Alexa

Comments (7)

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

Good pictures! Lucky you to find a source for houseplant begonias. The first two are rhizomtous so will not tolerate overwatering, but don't panic if they dry. If B. 'Escargot' is doing fine, congrats, as many people struggle with it. If you are going to overwinter it and 'Cowardly Lion;' they will need additional humidity, but that is just my opinion. The two Rexes are thin leaved and will not tolerate direct sun, they must have good humidity too, will probably be okay if grown closely with the others, the closer they all are the better humidity for all of them. Paradoxically, Rexes need strong light to hold that red color. I think you are doing fine.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmmm. so I guess I should bring them in from the monsoon we are experiencing? I just sort of leave them on the patio all summer and water when it hasn't rained in a while. Needless to say, that is where Escargot lived all last summer and is currently residing. I've overwintered them in my FL room which is south facing, so they get decent indirect light all winter.

Suggestions on what to do with Cowardly Lion which is a big fat nekkid rhizome and no leaves? Should I unpot it and cut that thing in half and repot in a better position?

Thanks so much for your response!

Alexa

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Oh lucky you with a florida room. Can I send you my begonias for the winter?
    I really like your new red ones, and Escargot. I think I would just throw the sad one away.

In a true spirit of enabling, here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: online begonia source

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

Yes, I would cut the tip off 'Cowardly' and root it, you should get a plant from the base and the rest of that rhizome could be placed on damp sphagnum and likely you will get plants there also. I guess I need not try to tell you about humidity!

• christine1950
    11 years ago

I just had to say how beautiful your collection is..

• eahamel
    11 years ago

You could put Cowardly Lion in a hanging basket when you get more plants from the rhizome. It's one of my favorites. Most begonias will get fairly large, and you're doing great with them. Be careful about the soil you put them in, though. Regular potting soil holds too much water and they'll rot.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the advice and nice comments. They are all outside on the patio - living in our tropical conditions and frequent monsoons. Yes, we usually get rain in the spring, but this past season has been unbelievable. They all seem to be growing in front of my eyes, I will have to get updated pictures.

Thanks again everyone!

Alexa

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting