Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Escargot leaves soft and droopy

Posted by smithjm z9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 05 at 19:34

i've had this plant for 2 weeks now. I noticed yesterday that some of the leaves around the edges are really soft and droopy. I keep the soil barely moist, and gets sunlight from south window. What's causing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Escargot leaves soft and droopy

• Posted by MingTea z8 OR Corvallis (My Page) on
    Tue, May 24, 05 at 12:25

you know, 'Escargot' is a big drinker. in the summer, i watered it every 3 days, if not every other day and it LOVED it. i had it outside nestled in my flower beds and it got watered when i watered them. try a bit more water? don't go overboard, but just step it up slightly and see what that does.

also, i might not be picturing what you're saying correctly--i wonder if the leaves are just big and naturally a little droopy because of their size?

-ming

o

well the leaves are not to big yet. Some of the leaves are nice and thick and others around the edges thinned out and sag. I'm sorry, I don't know how else to describe it. Also is it ok then if i water them even if the dirt is still moist to the touch?

o

I think you can keep it fairly moist, tho' of course be sure not to keep it soggy. Also, I'm wondering about that 'south' window. That might be too much light. Rexes, and other rhizomatous too, prefer little if any direct sun, tho' bright light is fine. And if you've only had it a couple weeks, you should possibly check its roots to see if it got too much water before you got it and you have some root rot. Probably not, tho'--I bet more water and possibly less sun will fix it right up.

o

yesterday i put my escargot on a tray filled with pebbles and water. I hope this fixes the humidity problem. Also, i spoke to a lady at the local nursery. She told me the thinning and sagging of the leaves could be, i'm giving it to much water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here