Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark leaved wax begonias...is this normal?

Posted by bgaviator 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 20:17

First year working with Begonias.....some of the blooms have started to brown and shrivel....is this normal? Is this just part of the blooms life-cycle, and the plant will generate more? I have also noticed a couple of holes in the leaves, and brown, dried looking tinging on some of the leaves.....any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark leaved wax begonias...is this normal?

another pic

o

Looks okay to me. Is there any evidence of burning or rot? It may be going through a little stress of settling in. Hope you don't have it in full afternoon sun even though lots of places seem to do this but a little shade during the hottest part of the day will go a long way.

Blooms come and go as well as older leaves. Pick off old deformed leaves and dead blooms if they are unsightly. This will encourage it to put out more blooms and new leaves (as long as it stays healthy).

o

Agreed. When I'm looking at these plants, I usually pick those dead flowers off because first, they're fugly, and they also tend to stick to the leaves, or the still-good flowers. Easier to do when dry. Your plants look great, the red on the edge of the leaves is healthy. When the ones in the ground emerge in the spring, they look like that if they're in a spot that's under a tree that hasn't leafed-out yet. If there's an ugly brown leaf, I trim it off so the new leaves under it can get light and have space to get bigger.

o

well, I have never had problems with waxed begonias before now. One entire bed's leaves and flowers are turning brown, and possibly dying. Could this be because of so much rain??? If So, what can I do about it. Supposed to get more rain tomorow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here