Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia Sophie Irene

Posted by susancarol 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 07 at 20:21

I found this cane at a garden center today-very reasonable $4.00 for a 6 inch pot with substantial growth so I bought 2 but is this really Sophie Cecile (sorry, no pic)? She S. Irene looks very much like S. Cecile. I'm hoping she is a hybrid and Sophie Cecile is a parent.

Thanks,
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia Sophie Irene

moving on down :)

o

Without a picture it would be hard to ID.

There is a 'Sophie Cecile' and an 'Irene Nuss' which both had the same pollen parent ('Lenore Olivier'). I have never heard of Sophie Irene so I suspect the seller had no idea what the true name was so they put the two names together to cover all bases.

Post a picture if you can. P.S. Irene Nuss shows some silver streaking at times but usually goes solid olive green under normal garden conditions.

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, May 28, 07 at 10:09

I bought two mystery begonias yesterday. I sent photos to a local arboretum curator who ID'd them for me as "sophie irene", so I'm leaning toward believing that she exists!

I found this thread during an Internet search to get into. on that begonia. I have photos, but have yet to figure out how to upload them here. If anyone wants me to email them to them, I'd be glad to. I'd also be delighted if someone wanted to post here them for me.

CarrieB

o
Web Photo Link

Mon, May 28, 07 at 10:19

And I just found this on the web. I think that my foliage is actually a bit less splotchy and a little more spotted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sophie Irene

o
Foliage

Mon, May 28, 07 at 10:52

Me again. I went out and checked the foliage. It is exactly like the linked photo.

(I can't believe how much bandwidth I'm hogging here - my very first posts to the Begonia forum)

o

The picture looks like 'Sophie Cecile'. I did a search for "Sophie Irene" and got a total of 6 hits (one was this thread, one was the site you linked to, and another was at DG about the same problem). Two other sites were about an author and a book. The last site was a bunch of gobbledygook.

I think 'Sophie Irene' got misnamed (renamed) by a grower/seller and now the unsuspecting buyers will think that a begonia with this name actually exists.

o

Whatever mine are, they're fast growers. Still hoping it is another hybrid but am happy with them anyway.

S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here