Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iconisedghost

Begonia gift looking rough- please help!

iconisedghost
15 years ago

Hi all

Im a new member here, and I got a begnoia as a gift about a month ago. Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago i over watered it, and now it looks pretty rough. It went kinda bendy (you know like when you cook brocolli when it is a bit old?) and droopy around the bottom of the plant, it seems to be getting droopier and the lower, larger main stems of the plant are brown. Leaves look good and green though

Is there anything I can do? It was an anniversary gift, i really dont want it to die :(

Comments (5)

• hc mcdole
    15 years ago

Ruh-roh! Two weeks is a long time for a begonia to stay wet. If the stems haven't started rotting and the soil is still wet, lift the plant out of the pot and place on a bunch of newspapers to wick away excess water. You can also stick it outdoors for a little extra warmth and air flow to aid in drying the soil out.

You may want to rinse off the soil and pot the plant in some new soil with lots of Perlite added in for extra drainage. Let the plant dry out slightly between watering in the future and go easy on watering if the soil has a lot of peat in it.

• iconisedghost
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the reply, its winter where i am at the moment...should i put it near the fire instead of outside to dry it out? Also, could you describe what Perlite is? Im not sure if we have that brand here, but we probably have something similar

• hc mcdole
    15 years ago

Perlite is an expanded substance from certain types of rock (volcanic rock?) that has been used for decades as a filler in soilless mixes. It aids in aeration of the soil, dries out faster than a lot of materials, is lightweight, and is great for propagation. The only bad point about perlite is due to its light weight, it can float away if a lot of water is added and lots of perlite was added to the mix.

Perlite information

I would be careful with too much heat around the plant so I would not put the plant too close to the fire (whatever would be hot to you would be hot to the plant).

• iconisedghost
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks heaps, i took it into the garden centre and they said there was some new growth, but it probably wasnt worth trying to save >.Just one question though- how can i tell if it needs watering and how much? I was going by the wetness of the soil, but that didnt work out so great. Should I wait until it looks a bit droopy? Just water it once a week?

• hc mcdole
    15 years ago

You can wait until it droops which is always a signal or go by some of the advice given on this forum from a few years ago and stick your finger in an inch to see if it is dry or wet. If dry, water well. If wet, don't water until it dries a bit more.

The idea is not to keep it waterlogged which usually ends up rotting the plant but not so dry that the roots die and eventually kill the plant as well.

After a while you will find when and how much to water it by looking at the plant and the soil.

One thing I've noticed is don't always go by the look of the soil especially if you have moss growing in it - it could be wet enough to sustain moss but the rootball may be thoroughly dried out.

Different seasons will also dictate when and how much to water too.

By the way, what kind of begonia is it?