Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

Begonia 'Sparks Will Fly'

klyde
10 years ago

I've just purchased a large begonia by Burpee called 'Sparks Will Fly'. It's gorgeous with patterned leaves and small single orange flowers. I've googled it and all that comes up is hybrida. Do you think I will be able to overwinter this in the house, like my rexes and other rhizomatous begonias?

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

If it produces a tuber, and I am not sure all these hybrids do that, you can store the tuberwhen it dies back as the days shorten. You might be able to keep it going under lights for quite a while this fall and winter, though. The tuberhybrida types are quite different in growing habits from Rexas and rhizomatous, canes, etc. It sounds as though you are aware of that.

• klyde
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

I'll see what happens this fall...something that beautiful will likely succumb despite my best efforts LOL.

Take care

• margie5
    10 years ago

I actually have the same question- I purchased two of these and they are absolutely stunning. I'd love to be able to keep them going over the winter. Does Begonia x hybrida mean that they are the tuberous variety? I have Rex and rhizomatous begonias indoors. What would I do differently with these to overwinter them?

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

Yes, they have a tuberous parent, B. boliviensis, which gives them the leaf form. You can probably keep them going if you have a lot of light, they need good light for more than 12 hours a day or likely they will want to 'rest'(go dormant). I bought one and it seems huge, it is in a basket form but it weights 13 lbs., too heavy for most of my hangers, so I am wondering what I am going to do with it when Fall approaches. I probably will end up taking some cuttings and trying to carry them over indoors, and the main plant will have to take its chances sitting in the basement, dormant.

• margie5
    10 years ago

So will you root the cuttings in soil? Just wondering because I've never done this with begonias before.

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

II think you can root in damp potting soil, or damp perlite or vermiculite, or in water; I usually root in damp sphagnum in a zip bag, soak the cutting(s) overnight first in water until they are very firm, and you may add a bit of rooting powder to the stem before inserting it inwhatever medium you choose.Begonias root very easily, as easily as African Violet leaves do,Then I pin the bag in a place not too warm near a light source and open it about every day to make sure it can get a bit of air and not rot from being tightly enclosed. I just open the bag, breathe a bit of CO-2 inside, close it and re-hang it.