Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Begonias

Posted by mboston 9(fl) (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 21:54

Okay, I must admit that I really know nothing about begonias except we had one in a planter and it lived (or grew back) despite neglect, bugs, and humidity.

What I need to know first is what is the difference between the darker leaf begonias that have usually red, pink or white flowers and the lighter green leaf ones with the same color flowers. Do they need the same amount/type of light? I am talking about the typical kind you see in all the nurseries, not the fancy REX ones that I see in the gallery photos.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Begonias

I don't think the color of the leaves has anything to do with how much light they should receive. The color of the leaves is due to their genetic make up. I group most of my canes together. If one looks stressed then I move it to a shadier spot.

More light usually makes stronger healthier plants which equates to more blooms and brighter colors. Same goes for feeding them. Also the intensity of the light can change the color of the leaves which you may or may not like so experiment. For example, I bought a plant on one of the Keys five years ago. The leaves were almost black but since that time, the leaves are more a bright green with white polka dots.

Here is a pot of some canes I had at the edge of a shade tree so that the front side got direct sun. I had to rotate this pot every week.

o
RE: New to Begonias

mboston-we have the perfect weather for growing begonias outside. I don't have to baby mine. I stick them under a shade tree (gets some full sun part of the day/year) and give them a spash of water every few days and fertilize. I have the green kind (cane) and some rhizomatous. angel wings and a few rexes and they are all thriving. They are great and colorful and I'm addicted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here