Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlene212

White Angel Begonia - Perennial or Annual?

arlene212
16 years ago

Hi, I just purchased a White Angel Begonia which was out in the full sun looking beautiful as ever. In my research on Begonia's it seems that they are annual or houseplants. This information surprises me because how well these begonia's looked out in the sun. Can someone please provide some information on this plant. Thank you.

Comments (5)

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

So far as I know there are no annual begonias. There are lots of begonias that don't live even a year, but that's because not all begonias do well in all climates under all systems of care or not/care. If the '10' by your name is your zone, you shouldn't have any trouble at all keeping them going all year. If you actually have a little frost they might need to be cut back, but I grow some of my canes outside (and some of my rhizomatous and shrub-like and thick-stem and---)and try to throw a frost blanket or an old sheet over them in case of frost (but I always forget some or run out of steam and miss some.) They do usually have to come back from ground-level, but they do ALMOST always come back! There are some more tropical begonias I wouldn't leave out, but you're not likely to run across those until you get really addicted.

• orchids41
    16 years ago

If the "10" stands for Florida's zone 10, I'm wondering if what you bought is B. odorata 'alba'. They use it as a landscape plant down there, although I've never seen it grown out in the blazing sun. I grow mine among the hydrangeas in filtered sun. Do the flowers smell like roses? If so, that's it. Isn't it wonderful? And mine have grown and multiplied like crazy here in zone 9b without so much as frost cover. Definitely a perennial. judy

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

About begonias being annuals--I was watching a garden show I really like and the person talking is one I really admire, and he referred to some begonias in a planter as 'annual' Didn't give a very good shot, but they looked like tuberous ones in the brief flash. Maybe to some people 'annual' means it'll only live a year (or a summer really!) if you don't take care of it. There's lots like that!

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Some are so readily available and inexpensive (another word for cheap) that it makes sense to treat them as annuals such as wax begonias, Reigers, and tuberous.

I am treating 'Dragon Wings' as an annual now since they are very easy to obtain anymore and you can get a 4 to 6 inch pot for $2.50 to $5.00. I'm about to the point of treating 'Sinbad' the same way. Five dollars each year for this beauty is a bargain compared to the frustration of keeping it through winter.

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. And if I could *find* Sinbad at that price I guess I'd get it that way! Mine has mildew, and I've sprayed and sprayed, and it keeps melting. Got one cutting that may make it. It's so pretty, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. The one I found this spring had been pretty good-sized, but had been broken or maybe diseased and badly pruned. Thought I could get it going (I'm sometimes pretty conceited about my ability to grow things. Maybe I needed to be 'taken down a peg'!)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21