Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesse254

Indoor Rexes

jesse254
11 years ago

I want to bring some of my Rexes indoors before it get too hot. What is the best light setup to use? Watts? Distance above plants? How many?

Comments (6)

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

YOu need some growers in your area to respond,wish I could help.

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I rue seeing people who won't answer the question, yet respond so it goes on down the list unanswered. I looked at your question, but since I don't live anywhere near you, and don't know enough to have an answer, I just let it go. I am guessing that lights are the least of your worries indoors, but I don't know. I wonder if dry air might be a worse problem. I recently bought a rex to keep indoors, and have it in a place where it might get a little sun in the AM, and bright indirect light the rest of the day. I don't have to run AC all day, so it is somewhat humid here indoors. I'm not sure how it will be in the winter for it. Anyway, this might bump your question up to the top, and maybe someone with more info will see it. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: rex begonia care

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Jessie..I was watching the Weather Channel and noticed how hot TX is, or was yesterday.

It's hot here, too, 104. 104F can last a few days or the next three months.

I'm assuming your home has a/c or c/a?

Instead of lights, can you place your Begonias in windows?

Like Aseed said, the dry air might take its toll, but there are ways of raising humidity that won't upset your lifestyle. Misting, placing Begonias on treys of pebbles and water. It will help as a temporary measure anyway.

Aseed, I didn't answer because I'm not a Begonia expert. :)
    My Begonias do fair, but certainly not show plants..lol.

Toni

• jesse254
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni,

Thanks for the response. I do have central air. I do not have windows that get much light. Most of my windows face north and south.

I went to a Begonia Group meeting in Austin last Sunday and met some people who grow indoors as well and got some pointers as to what to do and not to do and also go some great plants for great prices,

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Great! That is the best thing, to hook up with folks who are near you who know a lot and are willing to share. Hooray!

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

Shop lights would probably be your best bet. Go with the T8 lights since they are more efficient than T12 (32 watts per bulb vs 40 watts and provide more lumens). Distance above plants should be close but not on top of the foliage because it can still burn the foliage.

I move all my rexes outdoors for summer and we are supposed to hit 106 today. Provide some shade and don't let them dry out completely.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm