Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Rexes

Posted by jesse254 Texas (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 22:36

I want to bring some of my Rexes indoors before it get too hot. What is the best light setup to use? Watts? Distance above plants? How many?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Rexes

YOu need some growers in your area to respond,wish I could help.

o

I rue seeing people who won't answer the question, yet respond so it goes on down the list unanswered. I looked at your question, but since I don't live anywhere near you, and don't know enough to have an answer, I just let it go. I am guessing that lights are the least of your worries indoors, but I don't know. I wonder if dry air might be a worse problem. I recently bought a rex to keep indoors, and have it in a place where it might get a little sun in the AM, and bright indirect light the rest of the day. I don't have to run AC all day, so it is somewhat humid here indoors. I'm not sure how it will be in the winter for it. Anyway, this might bump your question up to the top, and maybe someone with more info will see it. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: rex begonia care

o

Jessie..I was watching the Weather Channel and noticed how hot TX is, or was yesterday.

It's hot here, too, 104. 104F can last a few days or the next three months.

I'm assuming your home has a/c or c/a?

Instead of lights, can you place your Begonias in windows?

Like Aseed said, the dry air might take its toll, but there are ways of raising humidity that won't upset your lifestyle. Misting, placing Begonias on treys of pebbles and water. It will help as a temporary measure anyway.

Aseed, I didn't answer because I'm not a Begonia expert. :)
My Begonias do fair, but certainly not show plants..lol.

Toni

o

Toni,

Thanks for the response. I do have central air. I do not have windows that get much light. Most of my windows face north and south.

I went to a Begonia Group meeting in Austin last Sunday and met some people who grow indoors as well and got some pointers as to what to do and not to do and also go some great plants for great prices,

o

Great! That is the best thing, to hook up with folks who are near you who know a lot and are willing to share. Hooray!

o

Shop lights would probably be your best bet. Go with the T8 lights since they are more efficient than T12 (32 watts per bulb vs 40 watts and provide more lumens). Distance above plants should be close but not on top of the foliage because it can still burn the foliage.

I move all my rexes outdoors for summer and we are supposed to hit 106 today. Provide some shade and don't let them dry out completely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here