Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milly35

Begonia Sprouting!!!:)

milly35
9 years ago

Hello all!
Excited to see my first Begonias sprouting...any thoughts on how long before I see any blooms?
Thank you in advance for your responses

Comments (15)

• Woebegonia
    9 years ago

They look good. Keep doing what you are doing and remember they need good, steady light to bloom so it will be a while yet before they are large enough to benefit from light and bloom for you.

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Woebegonia! I have some Dahlias growing in the background so once everything blooms it should make for some nice colors ðÂÂÂ

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Begonia leaves are huge yet no bloom in sight? Is this something I should be concerned with? Thank you in advance for any ideas :)

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I think I see one peeking through thought I'd just share and will upload progress....can't wait woohoo!

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

mine have grown huge and have buds, but most buds just drop - been in the 80s. they don't like heat. i think sometimes buds drop when plants are not fully grown yet.

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugh, that's what I thought Petrushka, here we've had pouring rain or downright suffocating heat! Here's hoping we both get to see something bloom before the end of summer:)

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just thought I'd share a lil update photo of my begonia finally blooming :)

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

mine managed to fully open and hold for a week just 1 flower.
    now it's just dropping buds all the time. i finally pinched the main cane and will wait for side growth in hopes of more flowers later in aug.
    here's my alien bloom

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my how pretty Petrushka! I've read pinching promotes more blooms, hope it works for you.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

large-flowered begonias usually are not pinched, 'cause the flowers become smaller. this one above was full 7" open. this is my 3rd year of growing it in a pot.
    i read that if you let them bloom early, no matter how strong the tuber the flowers won't be good. it's best to pinch off early buds altogether.
    but since i don't really know if it'll produce more, i let it open.
    i am curious how your flowers will look later. will they be full double?
    normally mine bloom later in august.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Check out these giant blooms in England.

You may have to be on FB though to see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: giant blooms

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

nah, they're public.
    yeh, in the other thread on tuberous i posted a link to a diary of british begonia grower for competition - they raise that 1 perfect flower...and then they CUT it!
    i'd be happy with half the size :).

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

in it's glory...fully bloomed!

• milly35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a view from the top with side blooms

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

that's really nice!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?