Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredg78756

Identifying by subtleties

fredg78756
13 years ago

I've got a specimen listed on my gallery as Casey Corwin. Up 'til today, I thought it was Dale Sena. But the closer I look at it (see my gallery and find Casey Corwin) it looks a little different than both of them. Mine has almost no lobes in the leaf.

How closely does the identification rely on leaf shape? Do the leaves change as the plant matures?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fred's Begonias

Comments (4)

• hc mcdole
    13 years ago

Rexes are highly variable from juvenile to adults. Fireworks is an excellent example of this - the juvenile looks nothing like the mature plant it will become.

Dale Sena is an upright jointed rhizome (from my layman's perspective). The leaves look like rex (maybe it is) but the plant can get a lot taller than a rex.

• fredg78756
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, thanks for reminding me that I need to look closely at "new varieties" I buy and bring home, only to find after a few months that they mature into something I already had.

Since you bring up "upright joined rhizome," is there a source that we can refer to that actually defines the various types of begonias? I couldn't find anything at Brad's or at ABS either. Even wikipedia had some obscure "descended from and Indian" something-or-other.

• hc mcdole
    13 years ago

There is no one source that defines all the various begonias (seems to be a blurry line out there). You will see a class of UJR on the ABSASTRO site of cultivars.

Brad's Defs

• fredg78756
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to add them to my list of references. Yes, I refer to ABSASTRO quite often and have found the names from that site to much of what I buy. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer