Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about foliage color and bloom time

Posted by crazyforcorelli z5 utah (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 1:47

Hey, Begonia fans!

I've got a couple of questions, and I'm hoping some of you can help:

1) I'm considering purchasing two Rexes, Curly Lion and Green Tiger, through mail order (rexbegonias.com). What's attracting me to these cultivars are the seemingly yellow leaves, but yellow seems to be rare color in the Rex world. Does anyone have these plants? If so, can you tell me whether the foliage truly is yellow, or whether the lighting of the online images is enhancing a green leaf?

2) Does anyone know the bloom color and timing (i.e., seasonal, everblooming, etc.) for
-Benito Chiba (rhizomatus)
-Maurice Amy (cane/angel wing)
-Looking Glass (cane/angel wing)

3) I purchased an untagged Rex a month ago, and now I'm wondering what it is. Its coloration is that of Camelot, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas Corkscrew, and Shirley, but I don't what how to distinguish between these cultivars. Anyone know their differences? If not, is Merry Christmas the most available/common of them?

4) The ABS featured Angel Glow as the "Begonia of the Week" on 6/8/09. Anyone know if it's for sale anywhere?

Sorry about the lengthy post, and thanks for any/all help!

-Crazy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about foliage color and bloom time

1) Curly Lion and Green Tiger are more than likely 'Cowardly Lion' and 'Marmaduke' respectively. They really aren't rexes but that isn't really important. Do a web search for both of these names. Cowardly Lion has some yellow tones to it but is more orangey brown in my opinion and Marmaduke is kind of yellow with red spots.

Cowardly Lion is semi-easy to grow and keep. Too much water can make it go downhill fast. Marmaduke is a wonderful performer in summer but is very temperamental indoors during winter. I think it may need a lot more humidity than normal house air.

2)Benitochiba usually blooms (pink) in the spring but may sporadically bloom. It is grown more for its leaves than its blooms anyway. It will usually defoliate in winter for a seasonal dormancy.

Looking Glass and Maurice Amey should bloom sporadically given the right conditions. They both have pink blooms too. Again they are grown more for their leaves. These two are notorious for mildew. They grow like weeds outdoors in summer but once cool weather hits, mildew can be a huge problem and may lead to their demise.

A lot of times these two are best grown as annuals unless you have the right conditions in your home for them.

3)Rexes come and go. Enjoy them for their beauty. If they have a name that is great. A lot are mis-tagged though. Some are hard to differentiate one from another similar one. Rexes are mildew prone too but usually can be kept through winter since they typically defoliate for a few weeks in winter.

4)Angel Glow is so new in the USA that I don't know if it is widely available. A few people have it. It is a Ross Bolwell (Australia) creation and hopefully it will go into TC soon and be available at next year's ABS convention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here