Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of begonia is this?

Posted by dafurmini Finland (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 5, 06 at 4:06

Hi, some time ago i bought very small
begonia shrub that has now grown quite a bit
and is now 3 times as big as it were when i got it.
I was wondering that can anyone help me ID it?
I have a photo of it (see link below), but because used flash
the leaves look more green, their in normal light
a lot more like murky red/brown. The leaf size is
about 10 cm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Looks like your basic dragonwing begonia

They are usually available here with the green leaves or the burgundy tinted leaves. The "arrow" or "wing" shaped leaves are the hallmark of the dragonwing begonias.

o
RE: What kind of begonia is this?

Looks like 'Withlacoochee', or 'Chocolate' to me. Check out thelmae as well.

o

I think Butch is on the right track. 'Withlacoochee' has a wider leaf, and more of a bronzy look I think, and B. thelmae maybe has smaller leaves. I've lost them both and I'm runnin' on memory, which doesn't always serve me well. Don't know 'Chocolate'. There's something tickling in the back of my mind, but I can't bring it out. It'll come to me--maybe in six months or so!

o
Re:: What kind of begonia is this?

Hi, Thank you for help so far.
I have checked the 'Withlacoochee' and 'thelmae' via Google Imagesearch, they look very much like the
Begonia i have, i couldn't find a proper image tought,
only racher small about 200x200 pixel images. But what i can tell from the pictures i did found is that 'Withlacoochee' has more green leaves than my begonia, Leaf coloring is more B.thelmae's.

o

You might try checking out the Houston ABS site...they have lots of good pics & info.

I've had Withlacoochee, and leaf color for me has depended upon light conditions, also.

HTH

Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS Begonia pic page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here