Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do u recognize this climbing begonia?

Posted by lovesgardening N.Israel (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 4:50

Hi all, please help me ID this - thanksin advance,
Dory

Here is a link that might be useful: What's my name?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do u recognize this climbing begonia?

Did you post the wrong picture? The picture is of a vine (jasmine maybe?) but is not a begonia.

o

Hi - it was def sold to me as something which roughly translates into" the tendril begonia and is evidently quite beautiful (eventually)

o

Unfortunately there are no begonias with tendrils (that I know of). Some climbing begonias would be B. glabra, B. convolvulacea, and B. radicans plus hybrids from these. They can have aerial roots if the humidity is high enough but then a lot of begonias exhibit this behavior (as well a lot of other plants).

Perhaps the seller was thinking of the rex begonia vine (Cissus discolor) which is not a begonia at all.

B. glabra

B. convolvulacea

Your vine reminds me of some kind of jasmine like Carolina jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens) but I don't think that is it either. Hopefully if and when it blooms you will be able to ID it.

o

Reminds me of a passiflora vine, with those tendrils, but I don't have the growing experience to know definitively.

o

Dory,
Lali tov. The vine in your photo looks like a Begnonia capriolata, not begonia. It is known by a few common names here, cross vine, tangerine trumpet vine, and jekyll island vine I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting. it is NOT the campsis radicans trumpet vine and not invasive like it. You will have a beautiful bloomer once it gets going!
Chaz

o

Mystery solved!!!! Thanks everyone and especially Chaz - it is definitely Begnonia capriolata, not begonia, tangerine beauty. I looked it up in the catalog with the guy who sold it to me.
Once again, thanks for all the input!
All the best, and happy gardening!
Dory

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here