Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntbarbie

Castaway Begonia

AuntBarbie
9 years ago

I am quite new to growing begonias (I'm hooked!) and have run into a wonderful problem with an over-exuberant Castaway. It was started from a cutting about a year ago and due to some sun damage, I cut it back and poked the cuttings into the soil. That's problem one...I was unaware how freely cuttings would sprout and/or pop up from the roots and now have a veritable jungle.

Problem two comes from having been ill during the winter and paying little attention to the plant's location with one cane stre-e-e-etching for the sun. It was blossoming so fully that I didn't want to cut it back...well, its now about 18", arching, and still throwing out softball-sized panacles (sp) at an amazing rate. I've staked it at about the one-foot level which was the highest I could go without breaking the bending cane and the point at which branches have started. Its in a decorative pot that's roughly 9 x 9...

So...how do I rectify my mistakes?
at what point should I consider dividing it? Should I just wait until roots start coming from the bottom?
How many cuttings might a pot of this size support?
How should I properly treat this long, starting to branch cane? As much as it'll break my heart, should I top off this cane?

Any advice, suggestions, directions or enlightenment on the growth habits of Castaway is sorely needed! Thanks so much.

What fun! A cutting that's too successful....

Comments (8)