Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia identification and propogation

Posted by leopradhan none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 11:25

I primarily grow orchid in my garden. And i was given a begonia bulb as a gift.

I potted it in leaf compost and fertilized it with 20-20-20 fertilizer at 1/4 strength. And now the bulb has grown into this beautiful flower.

I want to identify what kind of begonia this is. So that i can to take better care of it.

Also i would to propogate it. If anyone could let me know what kind of begonia this is and provide some info about its propogation. I will be very grateful

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia identification and propogation

leopradhan,

What a lovely flower! That is a tuberous begonia.

I see that you live in Nepal. I understand that Nepal has various climates: Mountain, Hill and Terai. In which type of climate do you live? If you live in a tropical/subtropical region and have hot summers with warm nights you'll never have much luck with tuberous begonias. They are hybrids of high altitude tuberous species, so unless they get relatively cool nights you can't grow them successfully. In the southern warm regions, these are generally enjoyed as an annual in the spring because they cannot be kept alive during the hot, humid months.

If you are up in the mountains, you may have much better luck!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here