Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy Tuberous begonias, what to do?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 11:41

I started my tuberous begonias as usual indoors, in April. They were a couple of inches tall, well leafed. Then I took a surprise trip and never got them outdoors to harden off and get more sun. Normally I put them out as soon as they have a couple of leaves. When I came back they were very leggy, with a lot of space between the leaves. I think the leggy begonias are at risk of the whole stem falling off as soon as it gets enough weight on it, especially when it starts flowering.

Do these respond to cutting back? Will the branch out from a node? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy Tuberous begonias, what to do?

This is a problem. If you cut them back you can root the pieces and grow them on but I doubt there will be time for them to bloom yet this year. Try it and see, you don't have much to lose. I think they may branch from the base rather than from a node. There are a lot of experienced tuberhybrida growers out there,I wish they would comment on this because this is a tough problem. Ifyou stake them and let them grow,they may topple.

o

Thanks. I hope a tuberhybrida expert does weigh in. When I'm on these forums it seems like mostly cane people here. Though my knowledge of classes is sketchy...

I've never tried rooting the pieces. Can you tell me how? I saw this morning one 4 inch long stem had broken off at the base and was just laying there wilting.

o

One method is to put it in a zip bag with a little water. When it looks firm, drain the water and add lightly moist sphagmum moss to the bag, place the base of the cutting in or on the moss and hang it in a warm place. YOu can add commercial rooting powder to the base of the cutting if you like. Make sure there is a node near the base, cut it if you have to. I was able to carry a cutting of one tuberhybrida all thru fall, winter and spring - however they get so large I would cut it back, and root that cutting as well, I ended up with four cuttings all rooted and growing. I will try and take a picture later this summer, assuming they are all worth looking at by then!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here