Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelskies_gw

totally confused - tuberous or cuttings?

steelskies
12 years ago

I was at a very well known greenhouse (Shady Lane) near my house yesterday. They had beautiful hanging begonia baskets on sale for $l5. I asked the sales person if they were the tuberous kind so I can save the tubers over winter in my garage so they would resprout next spring. (I've done this with many other ones I purchased over the years at various places). She said no, but she would ask another worker there who would know. This next person also said no, the basket begonias did not have bulbs or tubers. I said I "think they do have tubers", so she asked a third person, the "expert" who I personally talked to. She also said these basket bogonias were grown from cuttings and did not have tubers. If I wanted tubers, I would have to order from a special bulb company such as Brecks. Also that the tuber kind are the very tall begonias. I still thought I was right, since I bought many begonias at many different places in the last few years, some for under $2, and they ALL have tubers or bulbs. The label on these begonias baskets said "tuberous begonia". I can't remember what kind, but it was either the GoGo or Non-Stop.

Also, why, on the same plant, are some flowers very double, and some are single. I asked this question before, and was told that's because they were 2 different plants, but really, it was from the same stem.

Can someone PLEASE explain this? Thank you SO much!

Comments (4)