Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cross-posting ID request, pls.

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 14:56

I'm not much of a names person since I can never remember them, but not sure about type. Pics here. I've had Begonias similar to this before but it's been a LONG time. Is it a rhizomatous?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cross-posting ID request, pls.

No pics here (?)

o

Where it says "here" above is a link, posted in house plant forum.

o

Yes, it is rhizomatous. The long bare piece is a rhizome, you can cut off the growing tip with its leaves and propagate it by itself, it will make a more attractive plant, and the remaining rhizome can be cutoff and possibly you will get small plantlets from it if you put it on something like damp sphagnum. And then from the base of this plant at soil level you should get fresh growth there. I don't know the name of this plant. If you try these propagating methods be sure and maintain humidity.

o

Begonia noob here but it looks a little like Joe Hayden to me. Mine is putting out new leaves that look a lot like the ones on yours.
Alexa

o

Thanks for the responses. The new leaves sure are cute & pretty.

This thing looked like it had grown and fallen over, rooted, grown & fallen over, again several times. I separated it into several pots. From what I can gather looking at pics, they do flower but that's not what makes people take their pic, it's the pretty leaves.

Got the humidity covered! Air you can wear, like breathing a sponge!

o

I resolved to include pics of flowers when they showed up, which is now. I didn't notice them when I watered this 3-4 days ago, guess they popped up quick or still looked like new leaves at that point.

o

There's 2 flowers, this is the other one.

o

Whole plant. It's so much happier since I put it in a pot that's really a saucer, about 1 1/2" deep.

o

These flowers have gotten much taller and so pretty!

o

This is the flower on the left.

o
RE: Rhizomatous Begonia flowers

The flower on the right.

o

These blooms have gotten much bigger, and quite pretty. They looked more white when younger, but have turned more pink with age. When I google "Begonia joe haden (and hayden)" I see plants that don't look like each other at all. The pic of this plant at ABS doesn't have flowers on it. Any further opinions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here