Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motezuma

Emerald Lacewing

Motezuma
18 years ago

I'd appreciate your opinion on what is going on with this plant. It was been like this, losing big leaves, since I got it 4/20. I repotted it because it was in thick soil. It's now in a 1:1:1 mix. Every once in a while I see small bugs, quick as lightning, crawling in the soil. They are the color of vermiculite, longer than they are fat, and very small. I've sprayed with insecticidal soap twice before and it just seems to make my plant unhappy.

I have several other small beonias around this one, and they don't seem to be affected by the bugs. When this one arrived in the mail it was very wet. Could that have caused the leaf drop?

Also, I'm not sure about the planting depth. I tried to duplicate the way it had been potted, but it was in a 2 1/4" pot, so it was pretty crammed in there. This pot is 3".

I water it a tiny bit every three days or so. It seems pretty dry to me, but I'm scared of overwatering it. Lately these little leaves have grown, but they also seems to fall off occasionally. Please help!

-Mo (WV)

Here is a link that might be useful: My begonia album

Comments (3)

• hc mcdole
    18 years ago

Mo,

Although I have never had 'Emerald Lacewing', I would think you would treat it like other rhizomatous types.

Sounds like you did the right thing by moving it to a better mixture although I don't know what your ingredients are. I assume soil-less mix, perlite, and vermiculite?

Sounds like your spraying might have some effect on the appearance of your plant. I have had and still have the same bugs you are describing. If you let the soil dry out between waterings I think the bugs will disappear or drop off significantly. Not sure if they are springtails or thrips or what, but if the soil is wet then they seem to proliferate.

Leaf drop is natural. If they all drop then the plant has been severely distressed - overwatering, dried out, excessive heat, etc. Then it needs to go into the ER (terrarium conditions usually).

Definitely keep the rhizomes above the soil surface. The bottom of the rhizome will have roots at soil contact. As rhizomes grow they often lay on top of other rhizomes and some grow out of the pot.

Sounds like your plant is starting to put out again. Some leaves fall off here and there. As long as the majority stay on, then you have no problem. Remember the plant is usually grown optimally at the grower's place for quick sales. Then when you buy it and take it home, it has to re-adjust to less than optimal growing conditions.

If you have a shady place to put it outdoors, then this would probably be the best place for it. Just don't forget to check it for water during hot dry periods. Even if you move it out for morning sun (acclimate it like you were going to get a tan), this should help tremendously. I was moving some of my indoor begonias out to my deck every morning but would always bring them back in by 11 AM. You can even move them out in the late evening (say 6PM). Now almost all of mine are outdoors except the ones in terrariums.

Butch

• Motezuma
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info Butch.

One question I have... I grow streptocarpus, and having quite a large collection now, I'm afraid to introduce other pests into my house. Can I safely put the begonias out and bring them in in the fall without bringing a lot of critters? Maybe I could isolate them in the fall, but I couldn't if I was putting them in and out every day.

Would an always-open window work to keep them in? Do you think I should bag it at this point to raise the humidity until the leaves grow up?

Again, thanks so much for replying. This was a free plant with an order, but I still don't want to kill it.

BTW, I put down 2 leaves when it came and they both rotted. They seem to delicate to root like my others.

-Mo (WV)

PS, what's the recommended repotting time on begonias?

• ooojen
    18 years ago

It sounds like you might have Springtails. There are a few species that attack plants, but a vast majority of them just feed on fungi, algae, and decaying organic matter in the soil. Once you've got them in the house, it's pretty hard to contain them to one plant.
    You've gotten some very good cultural advice above. Not much to add, but--
    Personally, I'm a big fan of the Zip-loc bag. It has brought a number of my begonias (as well as Gesneriads) back from the brink.