Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia Identification

Posted by christy51274 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 15:08

I bought these Begonias almost two months ago.They don't appear to be dying, however they've barely grown or flowered. I have them in a semi-shaded area in a pot on my deck.I know some types of Begonias like more sun than shade, however I'm not sure if these are those type.

Could anyone please identify these?

I'm sure if I know more about them, this could be a huge help.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia Identification

Look to be some kind of Hiemalis (rieger) type begonias. Smaller one may be tuberous.

A lot of folks consider Hiemalis annuals and toss them after they start declining. You can research how to keep these though as I'm confident that they can be kept for a few seasons.

o
RE: Begonia Identification

riegers are considered to be indoor begonias - they like a narrow range of temps that are perfect for indoors. 65F night -72Fday. at most 75F. higher then that and they start declining. indoors east or west window with sev hours of morning or late afternoon sun is best.
they do not like to be pot bound. if they filled their pots you need to xfer them to slightly larger pot: e.g. from 6" to 8".
african violet soil cut with 30-40 % perlite is good. they take a lot of water when growing - do not let them dry up. they like to be moist. may be dry to 1-2" from the top only. and the just water a little to moisten the surface area that went dry. soaking thru every time is not good. they might rot.
i posted sev times about reblooming them (which i did) - search for rieger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here