Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia ricinfolia that's 38 years old plus -- a record?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 15:40

Is this some kind of a record?

I have a Begonia ricinifolia (big, sort of aralia-looking leaves, thick fleshy stems with red scales, thick rhizomes, big stalks of tiny white flowers in winter) that is ancient.

It was my grandmother's. She died in early 1972 and my mother brought it home from her house. It's been with us/me ever since.

It has been repotted numerous times, cut back many, many times, had root pruning and fresh soil.

It has also had many, many progeny, since I always use the trimmings to start more.

Is this some kind of record? I don't know how long my grandmother may have had the plant prior to her death -- she was a real plant nut and had many, many houseplants and large gardens.

Alas, I was only 6 1/2 when she died, so my memory is fuzzy. She had a great lemon tree, a beautiful passion vine, and a lot of others that were lost -- other relatives took them and killed them for the most part.

Does anyone else have any heirlooms of similar age?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia ricinfolia that's 38 years old plus -- a record?

Probably not a record but still a very long time. My first begonia was Lucerna and it is still around after 36 years (knock on wood). There are some oldies out there that are tough as nails.

o
RE: Begonia ricinfolia that's 38 years old plus -- a record?

I have an 'Emerald Jewel' that is going on 35. Just as eye-catching as ever, unlike its caregivers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here