Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragon Wing Begonias

Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 17:24

I took Tom's advice and planted Dragon Wing begonias in my new window boxes, full to mostly full shade. For those who are familiar with the container garden forum, I'm using Al's mix for the medium. The problem is, I purchased the begonias about a month before they were ready to go outside, I kept them in my basement but they got mildewy - poor circulation, beginners mistake. So, I've since treated them with a systemic, and the mildew problem seems to have ceased. I tried removing any leaves that were mildewy, so they don't look very full right now.

I don't know how to care for these begonias, there were no planting/care instructions.

I added a slow release fertilizer to the medium, but I'm curious how often I should be watering them. Do I let them dry out between waterings, or is that only if you are overwintering them indoors?

I didn't want to fertilize them at planting time since I read you should let it adjust first to the transplanting???, but I think I'm also going to use Miracle Grow once they start growing. I can't wait for them to fill in.

Thoughts, suggestions, feedback anyone?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragon Wing Begonias

Even here in the humid southeast, that type of begonia does better with much more sun than you describe. In full shade they tend to be spindly, with pale leaves and stems and very sparse flowering. I would imagine that in your zone they would prefer almost full sun. Definitely let them become nearly dry between waterings; all begonias suffer badly if they're overwatered. If you're set on growing begonias in full to mostly full shade, I'd stick with the rexes or other rhizomatous varities that provide color via foliage.

o

• Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 4:44

Well, they haven't done a thing since I've planted them, so I'm yanking them out. Actually, they look more spindly now, I've treated them twice with a systemic. I'll plant them in sun and see if that helps.

o

bubba is correct. DW can take full sun - just keep them watered.

Here are some of mine over the years:

Six in this bed in full sun from morning until evening:

Coir lined basket on hot deck:

On driveway with a Kong coleus - 18 inch containers:

On flagstone:

Same begonia as above:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here