Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia Ricinifolia help

Posted by slr8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 17:25

Hi, I just recently found out what type of houseplant I had and sure enough it is a begonia. I almost didn't believe it because I have never seen a begonia like it. I love it and want to help it a little. My question is how do I transplant this plant so that it is more in the pot and not hanging out so completely. I would like it a little more bushy and fuller. I don't want to kill it, it means a lot to me, so I thought I would ask before I do anything. I am attaching some pictures to show it.

houseplant

houseplant 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia Ricinifolia help

I thought I would add the pictures of the side view and the three stems coming out of the pot, so that you could better understand the predicament I am in. It looks great from the front, but I need it a little more tolerable from the other sides. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

three stems from the pot

problem with my begonia

o
RE: Begonia Ricinifolia help

I would just prune it hard! Ouch...!
Pinch off a couple of the leaves, leaving about half and inch, then push into the soil in the pot, so that the stem end nearest the leaf touches the soil. In about a month, you should have a new plant. You can even cut the stems at the side and place them in the pot as well.
Your leaves look very healthy, but I think they are straining towards the sunlight.
I have lots of different varieties of begonias and all have been started like this and are now huge!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here