Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnann_gw

torrential rain

donnann
17 years ago

I planted my giant tuberous begonia's this week. I have an umbrella over the wiskey barrel. I had to bring my grandson to the doctors and the umbrella flew off b/c I didn't have it on the holder tight enough. They are totally soaked and it's going to rain a lot more in the next 2 days. They are sticking up about an inch to two above the surface so they are still very small. Should I take them out for a few days so they don't get rotten? Thanks, Donna

Comments (6)

• bmchan
    17 years ago

If you can move them out of the rain that would be a good idea. If they are in a large whiskey barrel, let them go. I would not remove them from their soil, you are apt to damage the roots. Can you cover them without hurting them? I have put vertical supports in large containers in the past (pieces if wood etc.) and them draped a cover over these. Then I anchor the cover so it won't blow away in mild winds.
    We are expecting another 2 -4 inches of rain in MA this weekend. I share your anxiety.

• donnann
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks, I will cover them well but I am so atraid because they won't have a chance to dry up a little for days. I love these flowers. I took so much care overwintering them and waited anxiously to bring them outside. It seems like every year we get rain and more rain and heat and humidity. Summer isn't like it used to be or at least how I remember it. Thanks again.

• dee_can1
    17 years ago

I think you do have cause for concern, donnann. I planted fibrous begonias around the end of May, and we've had pretty much non-stop rain. Most of them have rotted, so I took out the rotten ones, and haven't replanted yet because it's still raining.

I guess ALL begonias must be susceptible to rot if they are overwatered? Must be the fine roots, and the 'succulent'(?) stems? Anyway, the holes where the rotted begonias used to be are still saturated, so I guess I'll just wait. How did your tuberous begonias do?

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Doesn't it seem like any one of us could arrange the rain better? Don't mean that to sound blasphemous or anything--we were out driving today and it looks like a desert out there. We are used to frequent soaking rains this time of year--or used to be!--but we are in a serious deficit. I think the TV said Mobile was more than eighteen and a half inches short so far this year. We're only about ten and a half inches short here in south central Louisiana. I'm worried about you guys up there--they're saying this tropical depression will probably bring you more rain. Have you started building your ark?

• donnann
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dee can, I have the umbrella over them again and they seem to be ok. I can't wait for the flowers. SUN today. I forgot what that looks like. I am sorry to hear about your begonias. It breaks your heart doesn't it? Yes, you would think we could arrange for better weather. I WISH !!

• dee_can1
    17 years ago

donnann, that's good news about your begonias. We're getting a bit of sun today, too, but then it's back to rain for the rest of the week. I still haven't been able to replant, yet.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022