Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tuberous Begonia "Sun Ray"

Posted by jujujojo 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 19:19

Initially, I did not like the color in the picture of the product which is from Holland. Now, the flowers are open. Wow, it is so beautiful. The outer cover of the flowers are red. The inside is a yellow or gold color imposed on red base color. Each petal is gold and a little orange or red at the base. It is like a red wood box with shiny yellow silk inside. It is so beautiful. The color is amazing. I am sorry I get it so late and I think they need to change a picture on the product =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tuberous Begonia "Sun Ray"

Now, I have a problem seeking answer.

The bag I bought had three very large and healthy bulbs. They looked the same.

Now they are blooming. Each bulb has different flowers.

My favorite is a fully doubled one. Each petal has bright yellow dusting on deep red base color. The flowers are not extremely large and the plant is somewhat more demanding.

The second one has huge but semi-double flowers of mixed red and orange color. In center petals, you can see red and yellow intertwine like some tulip flowers.

The third one has semi-double flowers also but it has less petals then the second one. The color is a light apricot.

Hmm, which is the real Sun Ray?

o

Are you seeing male/female flowers? How about some pics of these beauties!?

o

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 9:50

Yeah, of course. The female flowers are removed, however.

o

Ok, here are some images:

photo Azalea2013-7004_zps4a77b85c.jpg

photo Azalea2013-7017_zpsbad90c40.jpg

photo Azalea2013-7031_zps48c056df.jpg

photo Azalea2013-7029_zps143b55cf.jpg

photo Azalea2013-7025_zpsc3f7c8e1.jpg

photo Azalea2013-7040_zps102eeaba.jpg

photo Azalea2013-7033_zps3b475b72.jpg

o

I bought 3 tubers in early spring. Each has produced different flowers.

The one in the previous post produces fully doubled flowers but the flowers have become too small now, as it grows taller and taller.

The other two do not produce double flower. One produces lighter colored flowers - see images. I am happy with all these colors but I do not like the semi-double shape. I want fully doubled large flowers.

I want to know if these are worthy to keep for next season or not.

photo July13009_zps07eb3ae5.jpg

photo July13029_zpsdf136723.jpg

photo July13033_zps9091b304.jpg

photo July13020_zpsc1182ee4.jpg

photo July13034_zps660e4816.jpg

photo July13028_zpsaeb52faf.jpg

photo July13017_zps962013be.jpg

photo July13021_zpse71323c8.jpg

photo July13015_zpse36f5dfa.jpg

o

I've looked at this a few times, just because they're SO PRETTY! Sorry, no ideas to answer your question.

o

I have similar 'flower variance' on non-stops. they were dully double at purchase and then went semi-double and even single. I think it has to do with culture conditions, but I can't pinpoint it. cooler temps at nite(low-mid 60s) and not so hot during the day (hi 70s-low80F) improve the blooms, but not completely. smth else is missing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here