Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Rex in Northeast

Posted by mahz none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 19:42

I was wondering if anyone had information on keeping rexes in the Northeast. This is my first time keeping these (they were a gift). What are the requirements for keeping them during the summer, can they be kept outside or are they strictly an indoor plant? ( it can get hot (90s) and humid here). Any ideas on care during the winter as well? Any infomation would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Rex in Northeast

When I lived in OH I killed a few of these from too little sun, soggy peat. A couple hours of early morning sun should be great. The ones I have here in AL now like that a lot, definitely humid here.

o
RE: Keeping Rex in Northeast

I've generally had good luck growing rex hybrids both in containers and in the ground in Washington, DC but some rex hybrids are more heat-tolerant than others, so in part it depends on which one you have (unfortunately, most are sold without any names). In general they want bright light but not direct sun, and a moist, well-drained soil or potting mix that doesn't stay too wet, but also never dries out completely. As suggested above, keeping them too wet is probably the surest way to kill them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here