Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on growing indoors in soiless media

Posted by benitochiba Toronto (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 22:10

Hello folks,

I have a number of nice rexes, and a few canes indoors under flourescent lights. I'm trying to grow in a mix of coir and perlite.

I'm wondering if anyone has helpful information on feeding, PH levels etc.

I have a good PH/EC meter so I can easily manipulate feeding concentrations and PH.

What would be right PH and EC for feeding my rexes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on growing indoors in soiless media

Most advice I've seen on feeding is it is safe and recommended to use slow release every so many months or when repotting (whatever the manufacturer recommends) and/or a weakened water soluble fertilizer used every week or every watering when the plant is actively growing.

PH is another matter. I have never seen any strong recommendations on that. Neutral would be the safest bet but a lot of species begonias might grow in slightly acid soil while others are growing on limestone formations. So I suppose it depends on what you are growing. Most begonias seem very adaptable.

I've never seen any begonia article concerned about EC levels (there may be some article out there but I've never seen one). Flushing the pot every once in a while or repotting should remedy any salt build up.

Humidity seems to be one key factor for some exotic begonias. Drainage is another key factor (too wet leads to rot).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here