Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantermunn

New to this forum.

plantermunn
18 years ago

A friend went to the Begonia show with me a few months back. I bought a thick stemed one at least the stems are as thick as my thumbs.With purple hairs on the leaf stems.

The lady at the show told me to cut off the stem and root it. If it sent up new plants. Well it has three new plants. I was just wondering if I should or need to do it now? How big should I let the new plants get?

To me more stems in a pot would look ok. On the other hand two pots would be good. If I lose one I would have another. Or I would have one to share with a friend.

How warm do they need to be in the winter?

My friend bought a vining one.It didnt do well for her. She gave it to me and now it is back on track.

Thanks all

Comments (6)

• mingtea
    18 years ago

i think this is a question whose answer is based on your own preference :)

me, i'm short on space so i can't really divide all my plants up, but it certainly is a safegaurd if you have more than one pot of a certain plant. which begonia is it, might i ask? i'd love to see pictures of both the plants you and your friend picked up.

-ming

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:434938}}

This is the one my friend picked up. It was about 3 feet long. It was also darker green. I think I will give it a bit more shade. I don't know if she got a tag with it.

{{gwi:434939}}

This is the thick stemed one.It was taged Saint Marrie. It was getting kind of late when we got there. I think they were tird and just wanted to go home.

It has not rebloomed for me yet. But if it is making new plants it cant be all bad.

These are my first Begonias. I have read that the thick one are the hardest to grow.

If I reroot could I stake it and make it grow upright?

If I get another I think I will get one with bigger flowers.I think that purple hair caught my eye. They also had some with a caudex. Or would that be an exposed tuber?
    They were marked not for sale.

{{gwi:434940}}

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hiya,

the begonia you bought looks just like my first begonia--and the first one i tried propagating. i haven't found out what it's name is supposed to be, but it looks an awful lot like 'Fisher's ricinifolia' that i see in books. the first one looks like B. radicans, perhaps.

i'm not quite sure, but o believe the one that you have is a large-leaved rhizomatous variety, as opposed to a thick-stemmed one, but don't quote me on this, lol.

they both look like they are doing lovely. i'm sure you'll have success propagating both, and a lot of fun while you're at it.

-ming

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Ming Tea
    I took it out of the pot to look at the roots. I did not see a rizom. But I did not dig around. It had very few roots for such a large plant.

If it does have a rizom. Would it still root from a cutting?

I put 'Fisher's ricinifolia' in google. All I got was your member page and your trade list. Two pics came up one was said bulls eye it had round leaves. The other was yours.LOL

I googled 'Cachuma' and got a couple of different looking ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: I have seen this one in person.

• mingtea
    18 years ago

heh. i think i spelled that wrong. might be "fischer's ricinifolia" because then the houston database page pops up.

i've done this one from rhizome cuts before, but i think i prefer to root leaves--the plantlets are fuller looking.

-ming

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks I think I would try a leaf. If it don't work at least the plant don't suffer.