Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

Rhizo 'Black Coffee' Question

stonesriver
18 years ago

A rather large rhizome from my b. 'Black Coffee' separated from the rest of the plant.

The rhizome is about an inch around and four or five inches long with six or seven leaves on the very end. There is a good set of roots attached to the furthest end but no roots along the neck. Actually, it looks like a necky African

violet.

If this were an AV trailer, I would scrape the neck and place it on top of the soil. Where I scraped it, roots would form.

Does this work with rhizomes? Or do I just put soil around the root and let the rhizome rest on top of the soil? Or do I chop it into several pieces? It is curved and sits nicely in a six-inch pot. Will new leaves develop along the rhizome?

Thanks!

Linda

Comments (2)

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hi linda,

i usually don't scrape my rhizomes. (i've never heard of this, sounds interesting.) i just rest them on top of the soil and maybe lightly push some up against the sides. they usually, even if bare, sprout new leaves. for more delicate begonias, i keep them in terrariums of in an enclosed environment until they seem well established. for 'Black Coffee,' it really wouldn't hurt to do this, but i imagine you could get away with leaving it out, if you're careful. (bowerae cultivars are alwaays easy, and i never really pay too much mind to them). you can certainly cut down your rhizomes if you want to produce more plants. i always keep it above 2 inches. if the section of rhizome doesn't have roots, keep track of which side is "up."

i think you'll have good success!
    -ming

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Ming. I have potted in a six-inch pot to accommodate the rhizome.

With necky AVs, you prune the roots and scrape along the neck. Pot roots and neck up to a crown and where you scraped, new roots will form. With the trailers, if you injure the neck (I make little, shallow slits), a new crown and/or leaves will form.

Of course, these aren't rhizomes so I didn't know if it would work for the begonias.

Thanks, again,
    Linda

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!