Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to transplant?

Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 1:57

I got some hardy begonia seeds from the seed exchange on GardenWeb last winter and now have a dozen little plants about 2" tall in 4" pots. When should I upsize the pots or plant in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to transplant?

Well, it's hard to say, we need to know what type you have. I did find this info, it's on (Tuberous Begonia), and I don't know if you have that one, but this is it for the tuberous type:
When growth reaches 2-4 inches high, transplant to pots, allowing one bulb per 6 inch pot. Use a porous, peat based soil mix, covering the tubers with not more than 1 inch of soil. After all danger of frost is past, put the pots outside or transplant the begonias into the garden, setting them 12 inches apart.

Another thing I read while researching for you,
When to Pot your Begonias
When the leaves are 1.5 to 2'' long, transplant carefully, not to harm the new brittle roots.
Hope that helps, kudzu9!
Shell

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 13:32

Shell-
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what I've got since the seeds were simply labelled as "Hardy Begonia," but the info you've provided is just what I needed.

o

Oh that's great, I'm glad you got what you needed! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here