Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jostus

Cane begonia with blackish leaves?

Florida_Joe's_Z10a
12 years ago

Hello, I would like to know which cane type begonia has the darkest (blackish) leaves? I would like one that blooms light colored flowers. And if possible a source for such a plant.

Comments (8)

• Woebegonia
    12 years ago

B. 'Lenore Olivier' has dark leaves but the flowers are coral or salmon.I think there are others, why not check in with Kartuz.com or taylorgreenhouses.com or Lauray of Salisbury's site, you need to see descriptions and decide for yourself.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

woebegonia,I have been on those two sites but in the past I have had bad luck with going solely by pictures. The plants I have mail ordered never look quite the same in person as they do in photos. The colors seem often to be off. The plant you've mentioned sounds gorgeous I will look it up. Thank you for your reply.

• flicker
    12 years ago

I would love to have a good n plenty. The photos show large black leaves with large pale spots and very pale flowers. I have never seen one in person.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@flicker funny you should mention B. Good 'n plenty because it is the logees catalog photo of this plant that first put me on my search for just such a plant. However they seem to be the only source of B. Good 'n plenty and a google image search at times shows a plant with Cooper leaves. I really fell for this plant when I first saw the photo If I knew someone who has seen it in person I would buy a few in a heart beat.. Photos of B. Little miss mummey show a plant with similiar dark leaves and pale flowers I wonder if anyone here has grown it and if the leaves really are as black as they look in photos.

• hc mcdole
    12 years ago

I have found Little Miss Mummey a fairly dark leaf cane and a much better grower than Good'n'Plenty. Maybe Good'n'Plenty will start growing this year after limping through the last couple of years.

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much hcmcdole. How fortunate to hear from someone who has experience with both plants. I hope you dont mind me asking you two more questions( I am very excited at this point) Are the leaves on good 'n plenty as dark as they appear in the logees catalog? Which would you say has darker foliage,B. 'Good 'n plenty' or B. ' little miss mummey'?

• hc mcdole
    12 years ago

Jostus,

There are other begonias that have dark leaves or darker than Good'n'Plenty. I would say 'Little Miss Mummey' is darker since it doesn't have the big polka dots.

Here are some pictures of dark leaf canes.

This is an old photo of Good'n'Plenty. The flash kind of takes out any darkness to it.

{{gwi:435091}}

And here is one of my better photos of Little Miss Mummey showing how dark it can be.

{{gwi:435144}}

This is Lana and blooms easily. It can go light green indoors and dark outdoors with silver splashing.

{{gwi:435145}}

Here is a pot of mixed canes that shows a variety of color and markings

{{gwi:435146}}

Irene Nuss can be very dark and large

{{gwi:435147}}

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hcmcdole, thank you so much for going through all the trouble of posting such beautiful pictures. They were very helpful.After viewing them I have decided to go with B. 'little miss mummey' and possiably B.'Irene Nuss' as I am loving the spotless leaves.