Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia semperflorens Doublet Red

Posted by Marguerite Ireland (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 05 at 8:06

I bought this recently, and it's a beautiful plant, the flowers being a little smaller than my double pink B. semperflorens 'Pink Camellia'. Is anyone else growing the Doublet begonias? I was wondering where they have originated from, whether they were spontaneous mutations from seedgrown Begonias semperflorens or are hybrids of the various doubles on the market from time to time, such as 'Pink Camellia' or 'Gustav Lund'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia semperflorens Doublet Red

I live in Ohio, just acoss the WV state line. My mom & I have looked & looked for doublet begonias but cannot find any in either area. My mom is 86 years old & that is her favorite flower. I would sure like to find some for her. Do you know where or from whom I could order some? Have you any idea as to why this particular flower is so hard to find? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Sondra

o

Doublet Series of begonias are bred by Danziger, an Israli company. Hard to find because they sell primarily through independent garden centers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danziger

o

I just purchased B. Semperflorens 'Rose Doublet' - what a lovely little plant! I had never seen it before and came across it as the last one hiding amongst some dragon wing begonias at a local Ace Hardware. $3.99 for this cute little guy. He just jumped right up into my cart, LOL.

I know he is a little leggy. I will give him a little pruning/shaping after he gets comfortable in his new container.

Carol in Jacksonville

photo IMG_2923Medium.jpg

photo IMG_2922Medium.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 23:24

o

I went back the next week and found her two sisters, Doublet White and Doublet Pink! Here are all three: Doublets White, Rose and Pink.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here