Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

Bonfire Begonia

tom8olvr
15 years ago

I've heard several people talking about their bonfire begonias - now that it's been a few months - are you still liking them as much.

They FINALLY showed up here and I'm contemplating picking a few up... should I?????

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• hc mcdole
    15 years ago

Hey Ab,

Go easy on the watering because they rot easily. They go dormant in winter so you can either treat them like annuals or tuberous (I only had one of three come back). They look great but take more care than most other types of begonias if you ask me.

Here are some of mine from last year (boliviensis and bonfire).

{{gwi:435228}}

{{gwi:435230}}

{{gwi:435232}}

{{gwi:435234}}

{{gwi:435235}}

• Patty zone 5
    15 years ago

Go for it! I absolutely love mine...once I actually found one. I had one last year and didn't try to overwinter it-didn't even know I could. This year I finally found one place that had a huge hanging basket of it, but I didn't want one that big and didn't want to pay what they were asking. So I asked about cuttings and offered to pay for them but the owner said no...he suggested maybe later in the season. However, elsewhere, I finally found a beautiful pot for sale and picked it up. It is growing beautifully and the orange colour is outstanding.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have some amaranthus that is looking horrible and I just want it out at this point. I was thinking about buying a few (3-4 of them at $8) to just fill in the space where I plan on ripping out the amaranthus. It gets a fair amount of sun (I have some new guinea impatiens there that are absolutely thriving if it weren't for the skunk that's been getting into it).
    I do have a picture of the amaranth... to the left... I think it's too much water??? We've had more rain than I can remember...
    {{gwi:435236}}

• gree_knees
    15 years ago

Hi, Abby, after growing the biggest part of the summer, mine are nowhere near the size of Boca Joe's last year.I put 6 in a planter that's 14x30 in. and the look kinda stunted. After we get me set up to post pictures I'll post the pics from July. My Canon shot craps, a sensor went out and the camera shop suggested pitching it, the cost to fix it is almost the price another camera. My new cam is a cheapie, but I think I'm going to like it. The Bellfires are a real disappointment and after talking to one of the growers on another group it's not just me but the plant that's a problem. The foliage and flowers are drop dead gorgeous, but there's 6 inches of stem in between. Anita