Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonias sprouted then rotted

Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:11

Hello, I've not grown tuberous begonias, only a long lived angel wing, which lived on a covered porch in the summer and a pot of the bedding wax begonias which I also overwinter.

I was able to get a dozen corms of non-stop and other "hanging basket" tuberous begonias on clearance this spring; they were solid and healthy looking and sprouted when I potted them up.

However, about half have rotted! Could it be that being on the uncovered patio, part shade, with all the rain we have had was too wet for them? I potted them in a mix of compost and peat with extended release fertilizer -- wrong? Should I repot them into a sterile commercial mix?

I want to save the remaining plants (some look fine, others seem to be struggling) so any advice would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonias sprouted then rotted

Too wet I would say. The mix they sit on, not in, should be barely damp. When the little eyes show, then youcan pot them a little deeper. But remember, they will not tolerate being watered when they haven't really started growth.Experience is a good teacher,.

o
RE: Begonias sprouted then rotted

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 22:17

Thanks, woebegonia. At least if I get lucky next year I can use a better draining mix and keep them on the covered porch. I think that I will move the survivors to that porch before the next rain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here