Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-Stop Begonia problem ????

Posted by monica33flowers z4 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 9:56

I've been growing the basket non-stop begonias for a long time and I've always had huge success. This year I bought three baskets and they all looked fantastic.

Well, one of the begonias has small leaves and not the traditional big blooms. It has small ones all over.

The other begonias are thriving.

Do you think it could be an insect problem? What do you use on begonias for insectcide?

Plus, I always turn the begonias every ten days or so since they face the street and then the house. This way it keeps them growing evenly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-Stop Begonia problem ????

There are a zillion varieties of begonias and seedlings can vary greatly so I doubt it's insect related.
I use BT as a general insecticide.

o

I bought 4 non-stop bright pink begonias at my garden center. They were healthy plants but were not blooming. 3 of them turned out to be the regular non-stops and one is white and has the same shape leaves and flowers but is much smaller tham the others.

I had been meaning to call them and ask about it but didn't and your post jogged my memory so I have a call into them right now. The horticulturalist is on a break right now. I will let you know what they say when they call

o
call back

Hi Well I heard back from my garden center and they said they didn't know what was wrongand asked if I had done anything different with this one--nope treated the same as the rest.
They did say however that sometimes they do get runts and they discard them and if I wanted a replacement they would give me one. I guess because I bought these small and they weren't flowering they didn't have a chance to discard mine, My lesson--buy them when they are bloooming.

If you are really dissatisfied with yours I would call and see what can be done

o

Thanks for the answers. I did take a few of the leaves into my local research horticulturist site. They were going to have one of the scientists look at it to see what may be wrong.

I went back to the nursery where I bought the plant and talked with the owner. She gave me a credit voucher and gave me Osmocote (sp?) and said maybe try feeding with the fertilizer.

o

By the way what is BT?

o

If you are talking about BT for insect control it stands
for
Bacillus Thuringiensius--This is being bred into more and more ornamental plants. It is a natural bacterial disease for soft bodied insects like catapillars and tree leaf eating larva.

What it does is form little crystals that cut up the insects insides and eventually kills it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here