Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Please!

Posted by cynel (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 12:12

I found this photo online and want to buy the plant. The closest I found in my google search was B. Concord, but it seems to have a different growth habit...Please help!

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/gardening/great-indoor-plant-begonias-054523

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Please!

Looks like an old fashioned cane. maybe 'Irene Nuss?' if you like the incised leaves, 'Sophie Cecile' is similar, with silver blotches on the leaf surface.

-ming

o

Thanks for the quick reply, mingtea. 'Irene Nuss' seems different when I look at the flowers here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/37007/
In the original pic, I love the dark green jagged leaves w/burgundy undersides, and the contrast w/the light-colored flowers. I would also prefer a plant without the silver dots...Any suggestions?

o

I think ming has it ID'ed correctly. Irene Nuss can have silver stripes on young leaves and the blossom color depends on the amount of light as well. Sophie is more incised that Irene, has great silver splashes, and is a shy bloomer for me.

Here are some pictures of my Irene under different conditions.

young leaves (the spotted one is not Irene Nuss)

o

Thanks hcmcdole - I didn't realize the plant could vary so much in appearance. Your pics were very helpful - and your plants are gorgeous!
I'm a very novice indoor gardener and lurking on this site has been really informative these past few months. Thanks again!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here