Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asiatic_lily82

Begonia ID- Castor bean begonia??

asiatic_lily82
15 years ago

I have an interesting begonia plant that I received from a friend's mother a few years ago. She said it was a "castor bean begonia." I have searched all over the internet and cannot find anything about castor bean begonias. I think she may have gotten the name wrong (I've found pictures of castor bean plants online, but they're very different from what I have. It's obviously a type of begonia).

Here's what it looks like (sorry, I don't have a pic): It's a very tall begonia, about 2 feet tall now, with a thick green-yellow stem, red hairs on the stems, and roundish, shiny leaves. The leaves are huge; about 8-12 inches across. It has been producing flowers for a few months now, which are tiny, pink, and very delicate. They come out on a long stem and there are tons of them on seperate little stemlets (if that's even a word). There are about 20 of these little flowers. It's similar to a dragon wing begonia, but with a rounder leaves and smaller flowers.

Anyone have a clue as to what type of begonia this is? I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm