Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mold on the soil of propogation leaves

Posted by andyzoob (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 13:04

hello everyone

i posted about 2 weeks ago, about my rex begonia propogation attempt

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/begonia/msg0623252113624.html?2

now, upon close examination, it seems there are little, almost too small to be seen. what looks like green mold. This is far too small to photograph, but picture 1/4 of a grain of rice, ontop of the soil
some cups have them ( 1 or 2 spots max) and a couple dont

but i can see there is root development on atleast 1

please note : i am using a soil mix w/ cocoanut fiber to retain moisture, for the propogation attempt

also, i have 1 leaf in a cup of water, that already has roots
and the whole leaf is still in great shape. (decided to try both techniques)

Thanks for any input

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mold on the soil of propogation leaves

well, upon closer inspection, i realized it was prudent to remove the questionable "mold".

i used a pair of needle nosed pliers and removed the green spots, and the surrounding soil clump
also using a pair of scissors to trip any dead portions of leaves

during my inspection, i noticed most have root development

I believe this "mold" may have been from a bit of excess water, pooled in the corners of my tupperware base
if anyone has encountered the beginings of mold in a terrerium or propogation setup, please let me know the cause or if physically removing the affected areas
Also, i realize that mold spreads with spores, should i abandon this propogation attempt. or stick with it
(because i have the feeling i'll soon be seeing the " specs of red " as described in the propogation for newbies)

Thank you
Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here