Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hcmcdole

Bonsai 'Black Coffee'

hc mcdole
18 years ago

I started some 'Black Coffee' begonias last summer from leaf cuttings. I gave some away but kept a few. I put one in a 5 inch azalea clay pot but kept the other in its first home - a very small Solo rinse cup. The others I put in community pots. I used Jiffy pellet starter cubes for a lot of begonias starts, especially for smaller statured plants such as 'Black Coffee' and small leaf canes. Normally I would move them up to bigger pots but in this case I wondered how well a begonia would grow in a very small space. Here are some pictures of these two sister begonias.

begonia in solo cup with quarter for comparison

{{gwi:435419}}

begonia out of cup showing Jiffy cube and some soil on bottom to raise height of plant in the cup

{{gwi:435420}}

comparison of solo cup and 5 inch pot bird's eye view

{{gwi:435422}}

comparison of solo cup and 5 inch pot side by side

{{gwi:435423}}

Butch

Comments (9)

• stonesriver
    18 years ago

Butch:
    Isn't it amazing how differently two from the same mother plant can grow so differently?

I'm experiencing that right now with two AV trailers. However, in this case both plants are in the same size pots (3") and one is more than double the size of the other.

B. 'Black Coffee' is one of my favorites and both of yours are lovely.

Linda

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

The leaves have certainly reduced and look very nice. Are you planning to use this planting as an accent plant for a bonsai? Which species are you planning to put it with? What sort of container do you have in mind? Would it grow over/on a rock like bromeliad?

And would dear old 'Cleopatra' be as obliging? (Serious 'copy catambitions at this end!)

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Linda,

What is amazing about plants is there will to survive despite growing conditions.

That is strange about your AV's having different growth rates being planted in the same size pots. Are they in the same area? Planted at the same time?

My mother plant of 'Black Coffee' is struggling. It is in a 4 inch clay pot and in deeper shade than the 5 inch shown in the picture above. It probably needs repotting since it is about 3 years old now. I have two other ones as well for insurance against failure. Wish I could do that with all begonias, but some are not as desirable to keep.

Vetivert,

I am not planning on using the small begonia as an accent for a bonsai pot. While I have a few bonsai pots around the yard, most are hardy and stay outdoors all year so I could not plant a begonia in these pots. As for a container to put it in, have you got any suggestions? Maybe a demitasse cup? I guess you could grow it over a rock once the rhizomes become long enough. To do this I think a terrarium would be your best bet. Some small begonias I have in terrariums throw out all kinds of aerial roots, but as soon as you open the top to the environment for a few days, most if not all those roots wither and die.

I keep this one on my kitchen windowsill which is quite narrow. So the solo cup is about the right size for this location. I have one problem with the windowsill though. I have to turn the plant 180 degrees in order for the leaves to not touch the window and give it some balance. So now the plant is not round, but more oval.

I would imagine 'Cleopatra' would be just as obliging as 'Black Coffee' for miniaturization, wouldn't you? It's worth a try if you like small plants and want to experiment.

Butch

• stonesriver
    18 years ago

Butch:

Both 'Ramblin' Amethyst' were grown side-by-side under lights from leaves from the same mother plant. Unlike your two 'Black Coffee' begonias both have same size leaves (and blooms).

Linda

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

I'm going through a 'plant on rocks' phase at present so I'd think about using one,maybe a volcanic, to get the mood.

I have a cutting of Cleopatra just to hand. When spring is a little further on I have a rock in mind.

When I think of accent plants for bonsai they are ones in their own pots that are then grouped with a particular tree or group. Someof the miniature grasses, bulbs, mosses and carexes are very attractive when used in this way - and they can be brought in for winter if shelter is needed.

Thank you for your reply.

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Vetivert,

Good luck on trying this. Post pictures when you get it going. You might start a new trend.

I have a variegated weeping fig in a volcanic rock and its roots have grown over and wrapped around the rock. I also had a couple of ferns come up from spores in the planting pocket but one died due to lack of water. I now keep the rock in a rectangular shallow pot with no drainage hole so there is always a water reserve. I just need to empty it more often to cut down on mosquitoes.

Maybe one day I will get back to doing more with bonsai. Too many other things going on right now. Have you tried rhodohypoxis? It is a neat little accent bulb for bonsai and has several different flower colors.

Butch

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Part 2.

Here is a picture of 4 'Black Coffee' plants. The same one in the solo cup, the one behind it is the original plant with the ID tag (do you think it needs repotting?), and the other two are the same age as the one in the solo cup. The biggest one was just moved up to a six inch pot a couple of months ago. I will move it up to an eight inch next spring.

{{gwi:435424}}

• philoluver
    18 years ago

What is your secret to starting begonias from cuttings. I have tried several times and they just wither up and die.

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Philoluver,

No secret for starting begonias from cuttings. There are several sites that show how to start cuttings. To me, leaves are iffy (some easy, some are very picky). Some people prefer this method (rhizome leaves only).

Rhizome cuttings and cane cuttings are fairly simple if you keep the medium moist but not wet. I think the biggest secret would be the medium itself - I like to use generous amounts of perlite. An aquarium (terrarium) speeds up the process but isn't needed if you use the warmth and light of fair weather outdoors.

Check out these sites for starting begonias from cuttings:

Brad's propagation page

Mainly rexes here

Australian site

This year I am experimenting with cheap throwaway lasagna pans with clear lids and big serving dishes. Almost all my canes took and I think all rhizome cuttings. Half of the leaves probably rotted but the other half is rooted or already throwing up pups. I have used 10 large serving dishes and 12 lasagna pans so far. In the serving dishes I did not use perlite but rather Nature's Helper (a mix of shredded pine bark and sand and peat). If it had not rained then I think I would have had better luck but they are pretty wet now (no covers on these big pans). All canes were stuck in these pans. But the lasagna pans with lids also had problems with leaves (maybe too hot?) but rhizomes and some leaves are doing fine. I used a perlite mixture in these kinds of pans. If you're interested I can send you pictures of the results.

Butch