Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my begonia looks pitiful

Posted by marajade151 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 15:24

I bought this at the flea market and it looked gorgeous...I repotted it about 6 weeks ago into some miracle gro potting mix...it starting to look really bad though...does anybody have an idea about what to do about it? This is my first year gardening...

From upload

This is when I bought it

From upload

This is how pitiful it is now

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my begonia looks pitiful

This is either a tuberous or a Reiger begonia (I suspect the latter). They look so beautiful in the store because they were grown in ideal conditions and then get stressed out due to the move and then growing in less than an ideal environment.

First thing to do is monitor your watering. If the soil stays wet then it will eventually rot and die. Let it dry out some before watering again.

Move it outdoors to get as much fresh air, heat, humidity, and bright light as possible. This should make a tremendous difference. If you can't do that, then put it under bright lights indoors and hope it responds.

Typically these would be treated as annuals but you want to make them go at least for the growing season.

o
RE: my begonia looks pitiful

hcmcdole helped/encouraged me in saving my Sinbad. It looks like yours is outside. Maybe it needs just a tad bit of sun but not too much, early morning or late afternoon, but could be different for your variety.

It's too early to fertilize with anything, but I did some research last year, not sure, but they might prefer acidic soil. I've been giving mine a little Miracid (pot strength) now and then also some Osmocote. But I wouldn't want to do it this soon and possibly stress it more.

Sure is a beautiful one. They look so nice in the photos. The main leaves look healthy still, but if that is new growth, it doesn't look too happy, and the blooms have to be disappointing at this point.

Good luck with it. Sometimes when I put a new plant into a larger pot, it takes awhile to adjust. I usually clean the pots as best I can and run them through a bucket of bleach water and rinse well, usually don't if it's a brand new pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here