Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia enviroment

Posted by debby_1 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 15:43

I have raised African Violets for years, but a few years ago we moved and I've never been able to find a place in our new home that would provide the light the violets needed. I don't want to use lights. My question is, what type of enviroment do Rex Begonias require. Is it similar to African Violets? Any help would be appreciated.
Debby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia enviroment

Rexes are highly variable. I keep one indoors and it is doing fine and did pretty good this winter. Typically I move all mine outdoors where they really take off - especially in fall. The problem with that is when I bring them back indoors they pout, drop all their leaves over a few weeks, get mildew, and generally give most people a reason to never try them again.

My daughter keeps one of hers in a somewhat dark, cool room and rarely waters it. It is usually magnificent.

If you are so inclined to spend a few dollars, get a 10 gallon fishtank (around $10 at Wal-Mart) and stick your rexes in there. Give some light whether filtered sunlight or artificial. They should stay quite happy in this environment. I have several in containers now that are rarely watered.

Here is one of my newest ones this year and it is doing great outdoors. Come winter it may be another story.

Full Plant - 'Mike's Mauve'

Close up

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here