Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudosu

Despite all odds Picotee Begonias just now starting to sprout!!

claudosu
18 years ago

So, how crazy...I planted these picotee begonias around early May and they always seemed like they were ready to sprout, but suddenly it would rain or something, or it would be too sunny, or it would suddenly get chilly adn they would die back. However, I was in denial so I just left them in their pots, and I moved in June (sad too because I moved to a townhouse instead of a regular house, meaning, very small space for plants :( ) and basically neglected the pots in which the begonias were. Then a few weeks ago, as I was looking around my pot ghetto in order to dispose of the useless tubers and just use the pots for something else, I got a cool surprise... the tuber was sprouting!! So I gave the other one a chance, and yes, it also started sprouting this last week. I'm really happy that they decided to "wake up," though now I"m paranoid of moving them.

I'm thinking that they deserve to be brought out of hiding and somewhere where they are more visible, but I'm not sure if changing their conditions would send them back into hiding.

I think its funny, since I kept reading here that tuberous begonias don't do well in the heat, and they have actually started growing now in the middle of summer where temperatures are always in the 90s; perhaps they are doing alright because they are in complete shade beneath the shadows of other plants.

I'm thinking of bringing them into the office. Do you guys think that they will do well in an office environment with only flourescent lights and temperatures steadily at 70?

Thanks

Comment (1)