Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hcmcdole

ID these new begonias

hc mcdole
18 years ago

Just got some new begonias from Ace Hardware. One is 'Connie Boswell' I am sure of so I won't post it.

Here are the other 3. I think the first one is 'River Nile' but not sure. My stupid Nikon's sensor went belly up so I bought a cheaper Kodak yesterday for these pictures. It does not take as good a picture as the Nikon but it will have to do for a while.

'River Nile'? in tree.

{{gwi:435596}}

'River Nile' on ground.

{{gwi:435597}}

NOID 2: has large grey leaves

{{gwi:435598}}

NOID 3: some kind of heracleiofolia?

{{gwi:435600}}

NOID 4: Is this 'China Curl'? I got it at one of the home building stores a few weeks ago. It does not look quite like 'Super Curl' or 'Purple Curl'.

{{gwi:435601}}

NOID 5: Got this one several weeks ago at a local nursery. It started out as a very light pink with a hint of silver banding. Now being outdoors for a few weeks the silver banding has become very wide. The one on the upper right (looks like it has measles (fungal spots)) is from Lowes and looked very similar to the one in the center but not sure if they are the same.

{{gwi:435602}}

Comments (32)

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hi butch,

i think you have another 'River Nile.' i have the same "mystery curl" as your purple one, and i've just been calling it 'Purple Curl,' as seen on ebay (but we all know how accurate those names can be :P).

i made a new rule for myself: i don't name rexes i buy from the store unless it's a very distinctive one. heck, i'm trying not to buy rexes anymore, period!

about 20-30 years ago, there were open-pollinated rex seeds distributed under the name of "colorvision." i wonder if that's where the stock for some of these ambiguous beauties come from...

-ming

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ming,

I think that other begonia that looks similar to 'River Nile' may be 'King Tut'. Check out Ades and Gish. They have both but not very big pictures.

The purple one is not 'Purple Curl' since I have that one and it was labelled. Of course the label may be wrong as well, but it definitely is more purple than this one. This one does not look my 'Super Curl' either but is close. Oh well, it looked nice and the price was not bad.

I wish growers would put names on their products but I am not turning down any begonia that I like just because it does not have a name.

I will continue to buy rexes but will be more selective in the future. I bought some rex seed from Park Seed years ago and got good germination and quite a variation. Problem was I knew less about their care then than I know now and I still lose them here and there, but have had a better success ratio now. How do the growers do it? Give us your secrets.

Butch

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hey butch,
    have you thought about emailing brad thompson and asking him it's one of his? i think he's pretty easy to get a hold of...

-ming

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ming,

According to Brad's web site, he is too busy to answer questions. Have you some other insight?

Butch

• mingtea
    18 years ago

actually, i knew a guy who emailed him and got a response--always worth a shot. i think he sometimes posts to the Y! list, too. (which is probably a better place for IDs).

-ming

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

About twenty years ago we started having a gardening festival every spring, and I wanted to start a local begonia society, so the only other ABS members in town and I decided to have a booth and sell begonias to try to get people hooked. I didn't have enough myself to stock a booth adequately, and they pulled out when he got too sick (it was a couple, and I think she was really just going along with his interest) so I had to do some hunting. I knew a guy who grew beautiful big rexes for various greenhouses around the area, and he agreed to sell to me at the price he charged retailers ($3 for a six-inch pot, very full and healthy.) He grew them all from seed. Since then I have assumed most, if not all, unnamed rexes were seed-grown. Some look a lot like named ones, and maybe I'm too skeptical, but I'm assuming they just look a lot like them but aren't.

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What a shame that whoever got these rexes selling at the big retail stores did not put a name to them. Hard to believe that any plant whether it was a begonia or a strain of corn could become so widespread and no one gave it a name along the way especially when it sells so well.

Anyway all hybrids and species at one time were started by a single seed. Of course if anybody just grows a mix of seed and propagates a few plants from these and sells them as is, then I can see why no name was ever applied other than rex begonia. I guess it just takes the grower with enough fortitude to get their new hybrid recognized as a new and exciting introduction, while some new introductions look like something that was introduced years or decades ago. Go figure.

Butch

• mingtea
    18 years ago

well,

that sounds great but it takes a lot of time and effort to produce distinct rexes. i think there are too many red centered rexes with silver banding. heck, the booman GAC line even has a couple that i think look too similar. i like something like 'Benitochiba' and 'Fire Flush' for being distinct. Kathy Goetz from Cloudy Valley showed me some of her hybridizing projects and she had dozens of things growing out that didn't pass muster. the one that she thought was promising had a very distinct "drip point" marking on the leaf. awhile ago Begoniac posted a picture of a cart full of begonias going to the compost heap because they too didn't seem unique or robust enough.

i guess i'm happy calling most unmarked rexes "rex cultorum" but soon i won't have to worry about that--i'm giving most of them away, lol.

-ming

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ming,

I agree with most of what you are saying. I certainly am not denigrating any grower. But why are you picking on the lowly rex though? What about all the canes that look similar or have no outstanding features and have names? Should we call them simply cane begonia? Is there anyway to reduce the number of look alikes? Same goes for some of the rhizos.

I wonder if someone introduces a new hybrid and it goes around the world where it picks up new names along the way. A good example is 'Escargot' and 'Princess of Hanover' or is that 'Queen'? Is it me or do they look very similar? 'Escargot' does worse for me than most no name rexes. Same goes for masoniana. I won't give up on them completely but why waste energy on ones that don't do well for you or for your area.

Another example is some of the sellers on Ebay. A lot of the begonias there look mislabeled or made up names. What do you think?

Begoniac (I'm surprised you capitalized her alias) may have posted what was on the Yahoo group (not sure if this is what you referred to) but Ross from down under showed his dilemma on what to keep and what to toss at that post.

A lot of no names (whether that is true that they have no name or whether the grower forgot what the name was or saved a few pennies by not labeling them - we will never know) have more mettle than some of the named varieties. One person's trash is another's treasure.

Butch

Here are two pictures I saved from Ross' dilemma. I would keep them all if I could.

{{gwi:435603}}
    {{gwi:435604}}

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

That's a standard dilemma of hybridzers of any plant family I think. Is this unique? Does it grow well? I've known some iris hybridizers who threw away better plants than many on the market, but that is more a matter of older hybrids, or hybridizers who couldn't bear to part with any of their 'children', or maybe hybridizers who wanted to make a quick buck. I tend to look for hybridizers as much as hybrid names--for instance, I don't believe I've ever seen a hybrid by Patrick Worley or Kit Jeans Mounger, just to name the ones first to mind, which didn't have that quality of distinction. That's one more reason I wish growers would use hybridizers' names. It's pretty much all they get out of it after all!

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Greenelbows,

What I think is neat are plants that are hybrids without a human claiming ultimate creation. One of the great horticulturists - Allan Armitage - from the University of Georgia (he has a column in "Fine Gardening", too) has discovered and introduced many fine garden plants growing at some old farmhouse or in a field or who knows where else. He discovered verbena 'Homestead Purple' and countless other plants we now take for granted that a lot of garden centers carry.

I guess what I am trying to say is sometimes a person can cross breed two plants and get a gorgeous, robust offspring whether by design or pure luck, but then sometimes it occurs in nature. I'm just glad to have it readily available at a modest price whether it came about from people or happenstance.

You have a good idea about carrying the breeder's name on the plant but I doubt if most people (most are not plant nuts like us) care - there are too many other things to remember let alone the name of a plant and then the breeder's name, also. It's hard enough to remember my pet's names, let alone my grandkids' names. Ha!

Butch

Here is a link that might be useful: Allan Armitage

• mingtea
    18 years ago

oh, don't get me wrong..i have the same beef with canes. :)

-ming

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ming,

Please tell me it ain't so? Canes? Which ones? Usually this group is the most forgiving. I am getting some spots on some of my canes' leaves such as 'Sinbad' and I think it is 'Silvermist', but overall they continue to amaze me. 'Looking Glass' is starting to grow but is one of my puniest. 'My Special Angel' is growing like a weed. I should put it in the ground and see if it can take over before winter. Even 'Cracklin Rosie' is coming back with a vengenance after I thought I might lose it. (I even thought about buying a new one but glad I didn't now.) Some of the small leaf ones are worse for growing than the big leaf ones. What about yours?

Butch

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I don't know what varieties the begonias in question are, but I know I want the first three...I've gotten really hooked on begonias ever since I discovered they thrive in containers on my patio. I have a couple of cane begonias I got from Kartuz Greenhouses, Begonia boliviensis, a couple of Dragon Wing Red begonias (common, but they are such good doers I wouldn't ever do without them) and three hanging baskets full of Antonelli's mixed hanging basket tuberous begonias. Next up: more canes and more species begonias. Woo hoo!

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ljrmiller,

Sounds like someone else is becoming addicted to the appeal of begonias. Well, maybe addiction is too strong a word. More like I love them a lot and can't live without them?

Nothing wrong with 'Dragon Wings'. They thrive in the heat where others melt. I want Boliviensis but would like to buy it in person. Plant Delights has a nice looking picture of one, but their plants usually come in small containers. How is yours doing and how big was it when you got it?

Butch

• jodonne
    18 years ago

Is pic. 4 an 'escargot ?

• jodonne
    18 years ago

Sorry, I meant pic. 5. Sorta looks like an 'Escargot Begonia.

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jodonne,

No, that is not 'Escargot' you asked about in picture 5. There is another post here that has a great picture of an 'Escargot'. The picture you asked about is a variation of one of the curly rexes. It certainly is doing better than my two 'Escargot' plants since they are totally defoliated.

Link to 'Super Curl' and 'Escargot'.

Here is a link to 'Escargot'. I could not find the excellent picture that used to be on this site. I guess they expire after a certain amount of time.

{{gwi:435595}}

Butch

• jodonne
    18 years ago

Yep, HUGE, difference. I bought an escargot for my mother a few months ago. I wonder how it's doing. I personally only have one Begonia and it's a Hurricane Bay I believe. It's very nice and is doing pretty good I think. I've yet to find a good picture a hurricane on here though. Kinda wondered what it would look like when it grows up.

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jodonne,

The only place I have seen 'Hurricane Bay' is at D.S. Cole's. It is similar to 'Escargot' but does not have as large a band on the outer edge (I think).

That is a problem about what a mature plant eventually looks like. Most pictures on the web are of very young plants. I wish more people would post their pictures so buyers had an idea if they want something that big. I have seen some large plants at some gardens (Miami's Fairchild Tropical Gardens had some huge begonias) and very few nurseries. At our local Ace Hardware (where I got some of these beauties), they have some very large rex begonias. One in particular ('Mikado') has some outer leaves the size of dinner plates, may be 8 to 10 inches across. That is fairly large for a rex. If you buy it elsewhere, you are lucky to get a 4 or 6 inch pot. These at Ace are in 10 inch hanging baskets. Very large specimens indeed, but it makes you wonder if they get even larger.

Butch

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

This is a very interesting thread. I love rex begonias. I wish I could find them locally. When you guys talk about going into Ace or a box store and just picking up one or two, it drives me wild with jealousy! I only have a couple begonias, and I had to trade for those. Or I might chance on one at a friend's house and beg a leaf. It's like a dirty little secret - no one knows how I crave them. Tee hee!

Anyway, my contribution here is to say that you both have beautiful begonias. I only wish there was a hybridizer near me, so I could save the 'junk'!

-Mo (WV)

• jodonne
    18 years ago

Yep, that's my begonia (Hurricane Bay). How about that Devil's Paradise?!?!?! Now that's a good looking plant too!!

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Motezuma,

Sorry to hear you have no local stores to pick up some of these begonias. Ace is a big surprise. I found out about this one last year, then they went out of business. Then someone opened it up again earlier this year and begonias come in much slower than the previous owner. The price has also risen from $5 to $7 for a six inch hanging basket and from $10 to $12 for a 10 inch hanging basket. I think it is still a very good deal. Just wish they'd get them in a lot faster. Need my fix, if you know what I mean, seeing how you crave them. Shame is that most of the local stores practically close their greenhouse operations in winter. Gotta make room for the same old Xmas junk.

You may just have to start ordering via mail. The mail order growers for the most part are slow, have very small plants (shipping costs?), and sometimes pricey (I have bought bunches through the mail that cost more than what I have shown above and come in 2.5 inch pots to boot, I wonder what they would charge for a ten incher - $50 or more?), but if you have to have it, then this can work for you. Not all stores are slow or pricey, but most will be on the small side. Even small ones can grow quickly provided you give them what they need.

One more tip - if you ever travel to an area where one of these mail order places are, you should plan on stopping by for an hour or so. You should be able to get a good collection going this way. The plants should be a lot larger as well and the price modest.

Butch

• hc mcdole
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jodonne,

How is 'Hurricane Bay' doing for you? I hope it is doing better than my 'Escargot'. My rhizome is still plump but lost all its leaves. I quit watering it in hopes that is what caused the defoliation.

I had 'Devil's Paradise' briefly this year. I got a very small start in a trade last year. It was looking quite well in my aquarium until I moved it out after the weather warmed up. It finally succumbed to heat or some other malady. There are quite a few begonias that look very similar. Look at this site Lyndon Lyon. Doesn't 'Chocolate Creme' look very similar?

Butch

• jodonne
    18 years ago

My Hurricane is doing great in my opinion. It's put on maybe 6 new leaves and the original leaves are growing pretty good. And yes, the Lyndon does look pretty familiar too! I also sorta like the 'Tempest.
    My mother just happened to call yesterday and said since she moved her 'Escargot to a north window it's doing fantastic. She may have something there!?!?!?!?

• Michi_Harper
    12 years ago

I have two new rex begonias (I usually grow gesneriads, but the begonias at the nursery were gorgeous and i couldnt resist)they had no label, but i would love to know their names if anybody out there can ID them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Rex Facebook pic

• Michi_Harper
    12 years ago

Okay, here's a link to the other Rex NOID:
    The leaves on this one are really small.
    Does anyone have any idea what it's name might be????

Here is a link that might be useful: Little, white flowered, NOID Rex

• Michi_Harper
    12 years ago

Butch- check your email. I sent you the pics :)
    Thanks!
    Michi

• orchids41
    12 years ago

If Butch is in the loop, you've probably gotten your begonias ID'd by now. I believe the little white-flowered one is Tiger Kitten or Little Darling or something like that with B. bowerae in it. OR it may be B. bowerae itself. I've gotten hooked on those little things lately. I want to say, though, that your gesneriads are simply gorgeous! What a wonderful grower you are!! You must grow under lights, right? And that orchid cactus is incredible. I grow those outside down here in Florida. It must be a sight to behold when it's in bloom. judy

• Michi_Harper
    12 years ago

@ Judy Thanks for the kind words! It is actually not an Orchid Cactus, but a Dragon Fruit cactus, though. I think it is a Hylocerus. Are Orchid cacti Hyloceruses too? I'm not familiar with them. Yes I grow my Gessies under lights, and my begonias in a window during the winter here. I sure miss living in a sub-trobical climate (I am from S.Louisiana) where I could grow Columneas in baskets on the porch and cane begonias in the flower beds. *sigh* You are so lucky to live in FLA!

• orchids41
    12 years ago

Orchid cactus is just another name for Epiphyllum, Michi. Epiphyllum oxypetalum is probably the most famous one; you know, Night-blooming Cereus?? Don't want to highjack your thread, except to say: We must bloom where we're planted or, at least, try to. You seem to be doing an excellent job of that!

• Michi_Harper
    12 years ago

The plant hanging behind the hylocerus is An Epiphyllum!!! I'm waithing for it to bloom before I take pics. The flowers are spectacular!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists